Roster Limits

Knighty Knight

Roster Limits

Post by Knighty Knight »

Is it possible to prevent teams from signing more than 90 players. I feel like a team should not be aloud to sign a player that puts the team over the maximum amount of players allowed. That team should have to cut a player first before making a bid. A team lost out on an UDFA due to this. The player I signed was actually the 90th signed so it really didn't impact me in the end but it did another team.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (50-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-9)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-78)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Goodell

Re: Roster Limits

Post by Goodell »

Knighty Knight wrote:Is it possible to prevent teams from signing more than 90 players. I feel like a team should not be aloud to sign a player that puts the team over the maximum amount of players allowed. That team should have to cut a player first before making a bid. A team lost out on an UDFA due to this. The player I signed was actually the 90th signed so it really didn't impact me in the end but it did another team.
The system should be setup to not allow bids for teams if they are over their limit.

We have never had it setup where teams have to cut a player before they try to sign his replacement for a couple reasons. A bid isn't a signed contract. It's a negotiation. No guarantees at all that a bid is going to be a signing. A team may have a very good high priced guy and be interested in replacing him for someone making less, but we don't ask them to completely gamble that they'll be able to sign his cheaper replacement before forcing them to cut him before even negotiating with anyone else. A bid is just talking contract terms to players on the market to see their value. Maybe bidding for that new replacement player starts to heat up to where he costs a lot more than expected to and team wouldn't want to replace the guy they already have. We don't make them cut the guy first, try to sign his replacement, stop bidding if bidding gets too expensive, and try to re-sign the guy you just cut back.

Understand free agency brings many frustrations of different kinds and topics discussed. I'm looking at re-working some of the rules for possible new leagues ahead. It's something that can be discussed, but it's always been setup that way for that reason. You can't be OVER and keep adding, but if you're within the rules and want to check the market on possibly replacing a guy we don't force you to cut him before even talking to other players/agents on the market. If you're going to sign him, though, then you have to ensure you're still within the rules by making a corresponding move and the system should stop you from even trying to add more until back in compliance.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Knighty Knight

Re: Roster Limits

Post by Knighty Knight »

Ok makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to know once they've crossed the line they can't bid until further cuts are made.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (50-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-9)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-78)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions