RFA's to UFA's

tkienast

RFA's to UFA's

Post by tkienast »

Making sure i have this correct.

If I choose to make my RFA an UFA then I still have unlimited bids on them, correct?
PIT GM CFFL 08-14
SB Chp -10,14
AFC N Chp - 08-10,13,14
WC - 11
08-11: 11-5, 15-1, 14-2, 10-6
12-14: 9-7, 12-4, 12-4
09: lost AFC Ch NE 23-20
10: won SB 24-7 vs NO
11: lost AFC Ch NE 21-20
14: won SB 32-20 vs DAL
Record: 83-29 (12-4 playoff) 2 SB Titles
Goodell

Re: RFA's to UFA's

Post by Goodell »

tkienast wrote:Making sure i have this correct.

If I choose to make my RFA an UFA then I still have unlimited bids on them, correct?
Yes, it should just change their RFA status to UFA status but leave them on your roster, so you'd have the same unlimited bidding on them as all other UFAs on your roster.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

Is there a deadline for turning in our FA's before they become UFA's?
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I'm not sure I understand. Everyone who is without a contract next season is already a UFA, unless they have 3 seasons or less experience then should be RFAs. UFAs can be tagged or given LTC, and those decisions have a deadline of the start of free agency (looking like 4/8 based upon poll results). RFAs can be given higher tenders than their original NFL draft round (such as making it harder for people to give them offer-sheet bids if you give them a 1st or 2nd round tender protection), and those decisions should also be put in prior to free agency start 4/8. Not many RFAs in the league any more so doesn't effect as many teams. Once free agency starts, though, teams are allowed to lower their matching compensation which lets everyone know the compensation used to be 2 first rounders or whatever but now team willing to not match for less.

For RFAs, for the fewer teams with those, if you don't choose a tender level by 4/8, they'll automatically be at their original NFL draft tender amount (which is one of the choices along with 1st and 2nd rounder protection which are higher tender amounts). I believe once you choose an RFA tender amount, it still lets you adjust it if change mind (such as if you originally said 2nd round tender I believe it still allows you to change it to UFA with no tender), but once free agency begins and people put bids on that player based upon a compensation requirement it can't be raised on them after the fact but you can lower your compensation (or remove it entirely for turning RFA into UFA).

Short answer is while some adjustments allowed after free agency, need to get all free agent decisions made before the start date of free agency (4/8).
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office