2013 Off-Season Update

Goodell

Re: 2013 Off-Season Update

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote:How long do we have to make these decisions?
I'll get some feedback in a poll about free agency start date, and the GM directory also has a log of who's used up theirs to see how that's progressing. Might be another reason for little bit longer delay to free agency but allowing people to start using some of their other roster management tools before.

If it involves a guy you don't want to hit free agency, you'd have to put the LTC on them prior to bidding begins. You can LTC a guy with a year left under contract instead and you'd have all year to decide to use that or not.

Hopefully teams have done some thinking about their potential free agents and some of the options they have to try to retain similar to previous years with tags, LTC, or unlimited bidding on the market. I'd like to get those options available soon to give people a week at least (can be thinking about that though even before button is available to click accept) but also will run a poll to see if people think more time is needed and a later start.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Personally, I'd rather see all roster management done first in regards to any decision making including opening up trading before FA starts as well.

I'd like all the draft picks to be switched to overall pick numbers so teams don't have to research all of that.

Not sure how hard or easy it is to do all of this, but I'm all for delaying FA a little bit in order to get these things done first.

I'd like to start trading, FA, and the draft as well, but we need to do it in a proper order, and not rush into things just for the sake of getting them started.

Now, that being said, if what I suggested about trades and the draft picks is something easy to do, then maybe we don't have to delay anything.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Per my previous posts, I've turned on some additional roster management options now. Everything will be available once we start free agency in April, but for now you can:

- Franchise or Transition Tag a UFA (as well as extend contract for exclusive franchise)
- Tender restricted free agents (RFA) with 3 years or less experience.

- Sign one player to Long Term Contract (LTC) extension based upon previous off-season rules discussions.

- Restructure two contracts (50% less salary this year moved to final year under contract) but be careful with that as may force you to cut a year early with huge last year salary or make it very difficult to LTC then with high salary.

- Add a player to retired list if they've retired this off-season (let me know if you have someone on your roster retired but doesn't show link to add to retired list). We recognize real retirements, real suspensions, real injuries, etc. Retired players will have their salaries removed, but any signing bonus left will be turned into a cap hit (default split over 2 years).

- Cut players prior to free agency. Do not cut your players marked as 'UFA' free agents as you'll lose unlimited bidding rights for those players and could lose out on compensatory draft picks if they are no longer associated with your team in free agency. During the off-season, all annual salary is unguaranteed and will disappear off your cap space. Make sure to look at Signing Bonus left before cutting a player as that's guaranteed money that accelerates into a cap hit. Before June 1st teams only have 2 exemptions to split that cap hit over 2 years. Very difficult to cut or trade players with large signing bonuses left as massive cap hits become dead money with you paying millions to a player not even on your roster any more.

- No trades yet, but could be turned on sometime before free agency.

- I haven't added the supported Rule of 51 element to cap management just yet (where teams can have up to 90 on roster but only 51 count against cap during off-season) as more programming involved still in that. But will before teams can add players through free agency and trades.

- Cannot sign players yet, we'll discuss dates to start free agency once I have a better idea of when ready.

If you notice something not quite right with a transaction, send me a PM as sometimes little details may have fallen through the cracks in changing over to the new league year in the programming.

If you have questions on anything, or are new and just want some roster management advise, feel free to contact me. Thanks!
Last edited by Goodell on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

The restructures didn't turn on.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

tino38 wrote:The restructures didn't turn on.
Sorry, I had everyone at zero restructures left while rosters frozen but added one for myself to test first and make sure working. Everyone should have their 2 restructures available now. Thanks
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:
tino38 wrote:The restructures didn't turn on.
Sorry, I had everyone at zero restructures left while rosters frozen but added one for myself to test first and make sure working. Everyone should have their 2 restructures available now. Thanks
Didn't know if you seen it or not. Thanks
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Quick note for the couple of people who put in franchise tags previously. The NFL amounts by position for franchise tag didn't seem to transfer to the sim rosters exactly in all cases, so that has been adjusted and amounts fixed now as intended. If you made a tag decision based upon wrong information shown at that moment, contact me if you want to reverse it. thanks
Last edited by Goodell on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

If I put a tender on a RFA and nobody else bids, how long do I have him for? Is it just one year, or is there an option to make it longer?
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Zapotek wrote:If I put a tender on a RFA and nobody else bids, how long do I have him for? Is it just one year, or is there an option to make it longer?
It would just be a one year deal at that tender amount if nobody puts in an offer to consider matching. You'd have options to LTC them, though, before they hit free agency or applying franchise/transition tag next year or the unlimited bidding to try to retain next year.
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

Cool, thanks.
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.