Pre Off-Season Discussion Topics

tino38

Re: Pre Off-Season Discussion Topics

Post by tino38 »

Yeah I wasn't sure if its ever been brought up before or not. I mean I am perfectly content just using the NFL schedules, don't get me wrong. It would probably create a lot more work and a lot more time, and I realize it would be difficult to do. I am intrigued by the idea of it though if its possible. I did check, this year the Jets played San Diego in week 16 (2nd place) but none of my division opponents played anyone from the AFC west besides me so yeah they don't all play on same week. That would make it too easy :D
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

On another subject, I would like to see only the top 53 salaries count against the salary cap in the off season, with a roster limit, just like the NFL.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

larry linke wrote:On another subject, I would like to see only the top 53 salaries count against the salary cap in the off season, with a roster limit, just like the NFL.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL
I'll second the roster limits....
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

I raised this too late last year, so sorry if I'm too early this time:
Is there any possibility of having a 'no offer' option for guys who fall into the RFA category?

In CFFL, I have Andrew Hawkins as a RFA. He's potentially a nice player, but he's not worth the $1.26m a year that has been automatically assigned to him. My only options, as far as I can see, are either to keep him at $1.26m a year or cut him and then bid on him. I'll probably end up doing the latter, but it means that I'm actually worse off than if he had been an UFA.
To add to the above: This year's example would be Derek Newton, who has a miniscule chance of being a player eventually, but is not worth $1.26m (in my opinion). I'd like an option to 'no offer', which would mean he'd be on the market for all to bid on. I'd also suggest that the home team's bids not count against their 5 daily.

I'd see this as being similar to teams allowing a player to test the market in the hopes that he'll realise there's not more money elsewhere, but it comes with the risk that the home team might lose the player or have to pay more than the tender.

Any thoughts?
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

I would like to add to the discussions, the possibility of offering offset language in contracts we sign with players. In the NFL, if the Jets cut Santonio Holmes due to offset language in his current contract, he can not make anymore than 7.5 in the current year. No double dipping. If he gets cut a team could come in and offer him half that salary and the Jets would only be on the hook for half of the 7.5 now instead of the full 7.5 cap hit. I'd like to get thoughts on this idea. It may be very difficult monitor and something we could leave out, but it does allow a way to not make cutting a guy as rough on the books as it does otherwise.
- SB Champ 23’
charlie813brown

Post by charlie813brown »

tino38 wrote:I would like to add to the discussions, the possibility of offering offset language in contracts we sign with players. In the NFL, if the Jets cut Santonio Holmes due to offset language in his current contract, he can not make anymore than 7.5 in the current year. No double dipping. If he gets cut a team could come in and offer him half that salary and the Jets would only be on the hook for half of the 7.5 now instead of the full 7.5 cap hit. I'd like to get thoughts on this idea. It may be very difficult monitor and something we could leave out, but it does allow a way to not make cutting a guy as rough on the books as it does otherwise.

Our cap hits are only in signing bonuses, we don't do guaranteed money during the year as it is game to game and hardly ever do we have cuts for salary reasons because of the way we can only sign contracts with the same yearly value. I don't think this rule will have much impact on our leagues.
Cory H
GM of Baltimore Ravens CFFL (Total - 43-53)
2008 - 5-11
2009 - 9-7
2010 - 10-6 (AFC Wild Card)
2011 - 10-6
2012 - 1-15 (Rebuilding year)
2013 - 8-8
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

If possible, I'd like to discuss the possibility of adding a minimum-win requirement for GMs to retain their positions, at least in the AFFL.

For reference, here's the thread where we last discussed this idea (two years ago):
http://www.fangm.com/sportstalk/viewtop ... 00&start=0
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ben C. wrote:If possible, I'd like to discuss the possibility of adding a minimum-win requirement for GMs to retain their positions, at least in the AFFL.

For reference, here's the thread where we last discussed this idea (two years ago):
Yeah, I'll try to put up a poll tonight -- probably being a little more general at first to see how most feel about the overall direction and we could get into specfics further depending upon overall reaction to the main ideas.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:
Ben C. wrote:If possible, I'd like to discuss the possibility of adding a minimum-win requirement for GMs to retain their positions, at least in the AFFL.

Yeah, I'll try to put up a poll tonight -- probably being a little more general at first to see how most feel about the overall direction and we could get into specfics further depending upon overall reaction to the main ideas.
Would this be based off of multiple years? Something like you need to win at least 24 games in 3 years to stay in? (.500 average for those who done like math :D ) Also is there a playoff factor counted as well rather than just regular season?
- SB Champ 23’
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

My 2011 proposal was that a GM be required to win 10 games over any 3 season period. So it would be very, very easy to meet the requirement.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History