LTC figures

Jared A

Re: LTC figures

Post by Jared A »

Onyxgem wrote:
Ben C. wrote:I still think this one will work itself out over time.

But, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

So, bump again. :D
I agree as more of the expensive B+ rate guys go up in grade it will bring up the value of the the higher rated LTC's/
B+'s that are in big contracts are usually in their upper 20's or low 30's. The odds of them going up is very low. They actually have better odds of going DOWN towards the B level, and hurting the "B" signings.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I guess the real issue comes down to this.

Is it ok for a B rated LB to cost more to LTC than an A+ rated LB?

I would say, no. Never, ever, ever ever, ever under any circumstances. It's unfair, and "hoping" that something crazy happens that fixes the math, isn't the way to fix the problem.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Jared A wrote:I guess the real issue comes down to this.

Is it ok for a B rated LB to cost more to LTC than an A+ rated LB?

I would say, no. Never, ever, ever ever, ever under any circumstances. It's unfair, and "hoping" that something crazy happens that fixes the math, isn't the way to fix the problem.
The one small tweak that could fix that possibly if the league happened to have a lot of B rated players with higher salaries than A+ rated players at a particular position might be just adjusting the sample of contracts averaged out.

Instead of just top 10 highest salaries only looking within grades 86-90 (or whatever grade range applied to the player), we change the query to pull in the top 10 highest salaries of any players at that position with a grade below 90. So it doesn't leave out a highly paid guy rated as 85 in the calculation at the same position since it was just looking at 86-90 before. We don't look too high up to pull in better players making much more, but we look 2 grade point up and at all players rated lower at that position to pull in all the highest contracts for that position under 90 grade. That would be an easy enough tweak I believe and would make sure to pull in any higher contracts at that position the calculation wasn't considering before.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Here's a thought - what if we took the top 10 salaries of ALL players rated LOWER than the one receiving the LTC?

For lower rated players, that would result in a smaller pool but also should have smaller salaries.

For A+ players, they would be drawing from the entire pool of players at the position group.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Ben C. wrote:Here's a thought - what if we took the top 10 salaries of ALL players rated LOWER than the one receiving the LTC?

For lower rated players, that would result in a smaller pool but also should have smaller salaries.

For A+ players, they would be drawing from the entire pool of players at the position group.

I like this suggestion. That way, the top guys will always be taking the average of the top 10 salaries at their position, but 87's are completely hosed by this.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Jared A wrote:
Ben C. wrote:Here's a thought - what if we took the top 10 salaries of ALL players rated LOWER than the one receiving the LTC?

I like this suggestion. That way, the top guys will always be taking the average of the top 10 salaries at their position, but 87's are completely hosed by this.
There's been a lot of talk of teams or players getting screwed and hosed with emphasis on big problems here. I'm trying to understand that feeling to make sure things are improved and huge problems addressed.

To better understand that, why would someone with an 87 grade be hosed by this, if his LTC contract option was calculated by an average of the top 10 highest salaries of all players at his position with roughly his same grade or less?
tino38

Post by tino38 »

That could be a fair way of looking at it. I am not opposed to this one. Jared I think the guys rated 87 right now may be screwed but I do think that with this proposal, eventually those will start evening themselves out.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Yeah, this is one that could actually work itself out!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

The small change I'd make to that as noted above there (so long as all players rated lower meant all players at same position rated lower) would be not just looking at lower graded players only.

We currently go +/- 2 points when gathing the average. We also look at slightly higher graded players, in part, because this is a premium added benefit advantage we give teams to keep their player off the free agent market.

If we only looked at players graded lower than him, if he's a rising player truly worthy of LTC extension by design, then he'd maybe be getting a discount below actual value if just looking at players graded below him.

We don't want to look too high above him, as then comparing that player to more elite guys in a whole level above him making arguably a whole level different type money than he'd reasonably be worthy at a lower grade.

But for me, I'd still keep the +2 when looking at other similar players at his position. If a player is going to give up his rights to hit the free agency bidding wars and just remain exclusively with his home team, I think reasonably it should primarily be for people worthy of a little premium there.

But it's something that if most end up wanting to go in those directions with a couple slight tweaks like this we'd do some tests and see how the numbers come out and possibly adjust slightly from there to get the best outcomes.
Last edited by Goodell on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

I don't think we want to have certain positions having to deal with contracts given to like QB's. Some positions are always going to be paid ALOT more than other positions and when doing an LTC for a player i think we need to be only looking at their positions.