2013 RULES: Real Playoff or Averaged Game Choice

Jared A

Re: 2013 RULES: Real Playoff or Averaged Game Choice

Post by Jared A »

I don't care either way, but this will only help the good teams.

If a player has the potential of getting hurt in the playoffs, but doesn't get ANY benefit from playing in the playoffs... seems to me that it only hurts your team to have players in the playoffs.
hoopie44641

Post by hoopie44641 »

I think we should do the playoffs like the NFL does it
EFFL- Baltimore Ravens overall record 11-6
2023 11-6 WC

CFFL- Detroit Lions overall record 5-29
2023 3-14
2022 2-15

CFFL - ST.Louis Rams: Overall record 59-85
2012 -220 WC 2017 DC 2020
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Onyxgem wrote:If we use their playoff stayts then those teams need to decide what stats they need to use BEFORE those games are played.
I had never thought about this before but this is dead on it should be decided before the game is played.

I agree with whatever needs to be done to make it easier for you.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

Strategist wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:If we use their playoff stayts then those teams need to decide what stats they need to use BEFORE those games are played.
I had never thought about this before but this is dead on it should be decided before the game is played.

I agree with whatever needs to be done to make it easier for you.
100% agree with the decision prior to the game as well.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

I think we should HAVE to take the REAL update from our players participating in the actual postseason.

Another thing I would add to this discussion is the possibility of using OUR reg. season league averages for players rather than that player's real-life NFL stats. Some arguments say this gives teams a chance for a double-whammy of production from players by using their grade-affected averages (superior o-line, wr corp, etc.), BUT
I say this gives us a unique opportunity to make our teams more our own during playoff time, rather than having to use the stats from players in another universe (ie, the real nfl), where their stats are a result of their (o-line, etc.) in THAT universe. Just my opinion.

The way I see it, our league is an alternate universe where we build teams that we think can succeed. We use real life stats in the regular season combined with our respective grades to either raise or lower those stats. These raised/lowered stats are OUR figures that create (or can create) a much better, more effective player (or the opposite) than the one in real life. Why, after playing the whole season with this alternate player in an alternate universe (our league) would we revert back to the real-life player & his respective team in real life?

If Ahmad Bradshaw is averaging 110 yds / game on my team, why should my playoff team revert him back to 70 yds / game in real life? This is a false example, but is provided for clarity for anyone that doesn't understand what I'm talking about.
I guess there was a discussion about this previously, but I missed it.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Currently, we arguably penalize players who are still active in the real playoffs because we still keep tabs on their health as they subject themselves to further injury that players sitting at home don't risk. To compensate for penalizing teams with "winners" who participate in the playoffs, we attempted to also give some kind of benefit for having guys succeeding in reality in the post-season. That's how that started long ago.

Competition is more difficult in the post-season arguably against tougher defenses. The thinking was to force a real playoff performance against a MUCH tougher real life team may not be exactly fair to the sim teams with guys still active in the playoffs -- as there should probably be more REWARD for having winners on your team than penalty.

For the alternative universe stats... we treat stat updates exactly the same in the regular season as we do the post-season. In both cases the stats are always based upon REAL performances or real game averages. To whatever extent a player goes above or below those in the sim is usually based upon supporting cast grades in comparison to the sim competition. So if a sim team has the best sim offensive line imaginable, that sim offensive line advantage that boosts from real numbers in the regular season will also equally apply to help boost from real numbers in the playoffs. If we took the sim league averages in my opinion, you end up doubling the impact of grades. The general idea is that the real stats are the most important ofr individuals because individuals have talent within themselves, but we adjust their performance slightly either positively or negatively based upon supporting cast and opposition comparisons.

If a team was in a horrible division against the weakest of teams and had MASSIVE grade advantages all year for max performance boosts all year for their players against the weakest competition, using those adjusted inflated averages against weaker competition really creates a different individual baseline... then you also give him an additional boost beyond the already boosted average since he still has his strong offensive line to bump his overly-inflated number up even more.

That's the thinking anyway for always having the individual talent be the baseline grounded always in REAL performance, then adjust it slightly for sim grade advantages (15% max adjustment).
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Shagg

Post by Shagg »

I think the averages have worked pretty well for us, so I would go with keeping it the way it is.
E.G.K
Detroit Lions General Manager-AFFL