Abandoned teams

tino38

Abandoned teams

Post by tino38 »

I am curious if there is a way to handle these teams. I have been looking around each league (AFFL, CFFL, and DFFL) and checking to see GM activity. I have noticed that in the AFFL NE hasn't been on since June 19th, and in the DFFL PITT hasn't been on since August 30th. The CFFL seems to have everyone active.

In the NBA when the league was unable to find an owner for the Hornets the league managed it by appointing a GM and allowing him to make moves under their watch. Any trade that happened, the owners if the NBA had to vote on it, to see if it was fair or not. The Chris Paul trade was a part if that.

Knowing how much activity there is constantly in this league with trades and what not, as well as the fact that everyone isn't a "real" GM and we all have lives outside if this, I know we won't be able to reach a point here where we always have every GM online here every week. However after looking at everyone's profile it's safe to say that all but 2 teams have checked into the site in the month of October, and outside of maybe 5 teams in the AFFL, DFFL, and CFFL combined, everyone has been on in the last 2 weeks.

I would like to propose a discussion that when we have a situation like Pitt in the DFFL and NE in the AFFL, we are able to have a new GM step into that teams role under the guidance of all the other GMs, similar to what the NBA did with the Hornets.

We could allow Goodell to appoint one of the GMs on the list of "wait listed GMs" to the CFFL AND DFFL and then that team would be able to make deals, sign/cut guys and make each team in each league active. We could make a rule saying that rookies can not be traded from that team due to the inexperience of the incoming GM it would allow a base of you g talent for future years to come for any GM if the appointed one did not work out. In the AFFL, I know it would be a little different for you guys. The GM for the AFFL would have to be appointed by the league voting, just like any way you guys appoint someone new into the AFFL in the offseason.

I would say that for a trade to be allowed by the appointed GM, 47% would have to agree, or 15/32. If the appointed GM does a quality job the. He can stay in the league, if not then he probably is not someone we want in anyways. We then could allow that person to take over the team from that point forward then.

How I would propose we do this would be that after week 4 (1 quarter into the season) if a team is inactive then this can take place. The 47% vote for any trades. Voters get 1 week to vote, and for what ever reason there arent 15 guys on in that league during the 7 days in that week then the trade cannot take place that week. Obviously with the week 9 trade deadline looming this season, this proposal could not take effect this season. But into the future perhaps? I just wanted to open up a discussion on this. Thoughts?
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Ben C.

Re: Abandoned teams

Post by Ben C. »

We've discussed this a little bit in the AFFL forum and it seems that (1) the weekly depth chart not being updated isn't a big issue since the sim is now drawing in other players anyway, and (2) it wouldn't make sense to trade many of the New England players before the end of the season anyway.

I'm not familiar with the situation in the DFFL.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Ben C. wrote:We've discussed this a little bit in the AFFL forum and it seems that (1) the weekly depth chart not being updated isn't a big issue since the sim is now drawing in other players anyway, and (2) it wouldn't make sense to trade many of the New England players before the end of the season anyway.

I'm not familiar with the situation in the DFFL.
This situation in the DFFL sounds similar. The team is actually 3-4 and in 3rd in the division. Trades are not the main thing I'm really caring about, more so just having every team active and working on doing things to get better. The trades would be just something that would be a part of it possibly but not a huge thing to worry about. Just seems like a waste to have all those guys on wait list and have a team that is abandoned.
- SB Champ 23’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Appreciate the discussion of issues, but it's just a matter of time. I've been behind just keeping up with the games with extended business trips earlier and the Thursday nights and just catching up now. Hoping to get some time here to look into those further, but if I did now it would be at the expense of running games and we'd fall further behind. The focus with limited time has been more on keeping the games going than GM evaluation/replacement. Aim to build in some additional team policing tools for me and more processes for GM replacements upcoming. Thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

I believe it was Commish's intention for the league to be open to GMs who aren't gonna be around on a daily or even weekly basis. Not everyone is as hardcore as you & I are and aside from the draft / free agency, it's really not necessary to be around all that much.
Personally I don't think it's that big a deal at all. Also, sometimes the hands on micro-management approach backfires and ends up bring counter productive. There have definitely been times where I would have been better off if I'd just taken a few weeks off rather than wasting a bunch of $, or over-thinking things. It's not in my nature to be so hands-off, but I can respect the approach of just setting one's team and rolling with it.
Just my take though.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Yeah, RebelFan, I know I get very busy. I'm in some leagues where GMs are dropped so quickly and that hyper-activity requirement has some benefit if everybody's that way. But I've found that leagues like that fold after a while because life changes. Maybe people joined while just out of college and had more free time, but once married and have kids and more responsibilities as life goes along, there becomes less time for hobbies. But I don't think that should prevent players from still enjoying participating in drafts and occassional trades and free agent bidding, etc.

So it's kind of setup where there's always something to do for the hyper-active players as free agency is always open and there are always opportunities to keep improving, but guys who aren't here all the time aren't at a huge disadvantage either. If you miss replacing an injured player in the depth chart due to some last minute news on an injury moments before the games lock, it's not the end of the world. Our game sim scripts bring in guys off the depth chart to get healthy players involved. We don't have an injured punter for example lead to 0 yard punts all day and ridiculous video game results, but just give a below-average but reasonable punter replacement average. Miss a draft pick, it's not advisable but not the end of the world eitehr as you'll get the highest undrated guy. The highly involved GMs probably have more success, but busier guys can still compete and enjoy in the fun. Once it's too inactive, though, we do need to make a replacement.

Some probably have a different take on wanting to give replacement GMs a chance right away to alter their teams immediately, but also think it's probably safer and perhaps better overall to pop in some new replacement GMs after the trade deadline so those GMs will have a half-season to learn more about how successful team building here works and get their feet firmly on the ground for several months and through an off-season rules discussion before they'd make their first trades at that time as more veteran GMs.

There's also the issue that we have moved more toward promoting a GM from one of the other leagues up into AFFL, and typically like that promoted GM to give up their previous team to allow a new guy to take over an opening. That was a bit complicated to try to do while way behind earlier in the year, but once things setting down and GMs can't make trades any more after that deadline, might be a better environment to do some of that swapping.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
tino38

Post by tino38 »

RebelFan wrote:I believe it was Commish's intention for the league to be open to GMs who aren't gonna be around on a daily or even weekly basis. Not everyone is as hardcore as you & I are and aside from the draft / free agency, it's really not necessary to be around all that much.
Personally I don't think it's that big a deal at all. Also, sometimes the hands on micro-management approach backfires and ends up bring counter productive. There have definitely been times where I would have been better off if I'd just taken a few weeks off rather than wasting a bunch of $, or over-thinking things. It's not in my nature to be so hands-off, but I can respect the approach of just setting one's team and rolling with it.
Just my take though.
Ha Rebelfan perhaps we spend to much time on here, I don't know. I guess I wasn't meaning someone had to log in daily or even weekly, but my point was that it should be completely do-able to hop on once a month for an hour at least. Maybe it's not for everyone and I am just underestimating how much time others have available versus me. Just seems to me that this league is at its best when all 32 GMs are interacting a little bit during the year rather than just abandoning them for the season.
- SB Champ 23’
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:Some probably have a different take on wanting to give replacement GMs a chance right away to alter their teams immediately, but also think it's probably safer and perhaps better overall to pop in some new replacement GMs after the trade deadline so those GMs will have a half-season to learn more about how successful team building here works and get their feet firmly on the ground for several months and through an off-season rules discussion before they'd make their first trades at that time as more veteran GMs.
I actually really agree with the idea of not doing anything until after the trade deadline to give time for these guys to get acquainted within the league and what not.
- SB Champ 23’
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

tino38 wrote:Ha Rebelfan perhaps we spend to much time on here
Tino, I checked with my girlfriend, and she says I definitely spend too much time on here, haha. These two leagues keep me on my phone more than Jay Glazer!
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
tino38

Post by tino38 »

RebelFan wrote:
tino38 wrote:Ha Rebelfan perhaps we spend to much time on here
Tino, I checked with my girlfriend, and she says I definitely spend too much time on here, haha. These two leagues keep me on my phone more than Jay Glazer!
Haha that is awesome. I feel ya. Ever since I upgraded to the iPhone about 6 months ago I have stepped up my FANGM-ing to a whole new level. Luckily I find time during work to hop on alot at work. That Jay Glazer part just cracks me up
- SB Champ 23’