Non-vested players going to IR

Ulrich82

Non-vested players going to IR

Post by Ulrich82 »

Do we have special rules about rookies and unvested veterans going on IR? For example, in the NFL, these players must pass through waivers before they can be put on IR. This lead to the Patriots claiming Jake Ballard from the Giants.

I'm just curious about cutting my own roster down. For example, I signed Chase Minnifield as an undrafted free agent. He tore his ACL in minicamp. The Redskins cut him, and then put him on IR after he cleared waivers.

Will I be able to add Minnifield to IR to get down to my 53 active players, or do I need to cut him first?
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
Goodell

Re: Non-vested players going to IR

Post by Goodell »

Ulrich82 wrote:Do we have special rules about rookies and unvested veterans going on IR? For example, in the NFL, these players must pass through waivers before they can be put on IR. This lead to the Patriots claiming Jake Ballard from the Giants.

I'm just curious about cutting my own roster down. For example, I signed Chase Minnifield as an undrafted free agent. He tore his ACL in minicamp. The Redskins cut him, and then put him on IR after he cleared waivers.

Will I be able to add Minnifield to IR to get down to my 53 active players, or do I need to cut him first?
It might be something to look at in the future towards realism, but for now IR works the same for everyone. I have to first set them eligible for IR and then a team can click to put them on the IR list from their team roster.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office