2024 Off-Season Update

sportznut

Re: 2024 Off-Season Update

Post by sportznut »

The depth chart for my F7 still hasn't been corrected, as I explained above.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:56 pm The depth chart for my F7 still hasn't been corrected, as I explained above.
If a player is listed with the wrong position I still have it on my (very long this time of year) list to individually check the individual player's eligible positions listed. Feel free to send me a PM if there are specific individuals who you think have the wrong position eligibilities listed for them here. If they're listed as a position in Madden, they'll be eligible for it here. If the root of the problem is more likely more a matter of the programming not optimizing the grouping of starting/backup players, that happens sometimes (mostly in the secondary areas) unfortunately. Until I can re-write and improve those complicated programs, when I'm made aware of a problem there I have a short-list of teams with known average calculation problems that I manually re-calculate and manually enter in an adjusted grade. If we don't find a wrong position to adjust which corrects it or some other resolution by two+ weeks until we start simming games, I'll add that situation to the list of teams to manually check and re-calculate to enter an adjusted average which is used in the sim.

Typically in the cases I make manual adjustments it's either 0 or .1 difference outside or really extreme examples. Without diving too deep usually it's a listed backup who has a higher grade than someone who was used by the system mistakenly as a starter when there was a more optimal grouping. When I run the average in that case there moving the backup higher grade into starter spot instead exchanging those, the average didn't end up changing (6.80 versus 6.8467) both being 6.8 since not enough to round higher. With injuries or grade adjustments or whatever, sometimes that may end up enough to round up to an extra .1. And if the system isn't giving teams their optimal grade average, we definitely want to make sure it does. If it can't be done reprogramming everything in the short-term to try to accomplish that, it's pretty quick for me to have a short-list of teams with situations I can double-check before I sim their games and make sure it's giving them their right average. The printed game logs show the actual grade averages used for the sim. We'll work to make sure that's the case there, whether it shows on that depth chart page programming or not, we'll make sure the game uses it where it counts.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:43 pm
sportznut wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:56 pm The depth chart for my F7 still hasn't been corrected, as I explained above.
If a player is listed with the wrong position I still have it on my (very long this time of year) list to individually check the individual player's eligible positions listed. Feel free to send me a PM if there are specific individuals who you think have the wrong position eligibilities listed for them here. If they're listed as a position in Madden, they'll be eligible for it here. If the root of the problem is more likely more a matter of the programming not optimizing the grouping of starting/backup players, that happens sometimes (mostly in the secondary areas) unfortunately. Until I can re-write and improve those complicated programs, when I'm made aware of a problem there I have a short-list of teams with known average calculation problems that I manually re-calculate and manually enter in an adjusted grade. If we don't find a wrong position to adjust which corrects it or some other resolution by two+ weeks until we start simming games, I'll add that situation to the list of teams to manually check and re-calculate to enter an adjusted average which is used in the sim.

Typically in the cases I make manual adjustments it's either 0 or .1 difference outside or really extreme examples. Without diving too deep usually it's a listed backup who has a higher grade than someone who was used by the system mistakenly as a starter when there was a more optimal grouping. When I run the average in that case there moving the backup higher grade into starter spot instead exchanging those, the average didn't end up changing (6.80 versus 6.8467) both being 6.8 since not enough to round higher. With injuries or grade adjustments or whatever, sometimes that may end up enough to round up to an extra .1. And if the system isn't giving teams their optimal grade average, we definitely want to make sure it does. If it can't be done reprogramming everything in the short-term to try to accomplish that, it's pretty quick for me to have a short-list of teams with situations I can double-check before I sim their games and make sure it's giving them their right average. The printed game logs show the actual grade averages used for the sim. We'll work to make sure that's the case there, whether it shows on that depth chart page programming or not, we'll make sure the game uses it where it counts.
No one is in the wrong position. I explained in detail what is the issue above. I have a bunch of guys with flexibility at multiple positions across my d-line, but its taking my 9th best guy (James Houston), and placing him ahead of my 7th guy (Barmore) on the DC. Barmore, subsequently is getting a grade as a backup, instead of a starter. Its not a HUGE difference in my overall grade, but its still not correct, and if I sign or trade for guys this year, I want it to be the way its supposed to be.

This wasn't a problem until all my guys listed at DE/LB, all moved off the LB position on the roster page to the d-line section of the page. That in itself shouldn't matter b/c I have the talent to run 2 DEs, 1 DT, and 4 LBs without James Houston.

Thanks.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Troy, if the overall grades are the same, that's fine in the short term, but if my best 7 guys aren't starting long term, no matter who those guys are, especially as injuries happen, I'm not going to be happy about it.

My team this year is built on that defense. I want every single decimal point I can muster up.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Your best players are being calculated in the grade for front 7. The order does not matter. It's not a depth chart.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (50-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-9)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-78)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Knighty Knight wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:37 pm Your best players are being calculated in the grade for front 7. The order does not matter. It's not a depth chart.
I've already explained this twice now. They are not.

Look at my roster, go to depth chart, and see how the d-line grade is calculated.

Barmore is listed as a backup, despite having a better grade than James Houston. With the position flexibility on my team, Barmore should be a starter.

I'm not going to continue to explain this over and over again. Its right there in black and white.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

Your depth chart is correct....and also your top 8 is accounted for. Let's start with the first 3, 2 DE and DT, let's go with the premise of Crosby(DE), Parsons(DE), Buckner(DT) accounted for. Next, 3 LB's.... Gary(LB), Bolton(LB), Houston(LB)....Next DT/LB that's Graham and now the final guy Barimore. It sure looks like it would be a 4-3 defense. Another point because Crosby and Parsons are accounted for and their real life positions are DE, that only leaves you 3 LB, so Houston accounts for the 3rd LB. I get what your saying trust me but the chart is correct
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

By having to account for the two DE, it takes the LB equation out of play, so the 3 LB have to get accounted for, and yes I look at my depth chart every week as well, it's something that needs to be discussed next off season. It would be one thing if we can do changes manually, but if it's a software issue that's a different story and probably not as correctable.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

bpboguta1483 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:00 pm Your depth chart is correct....and also your top 8 is accounted for. Let's start with the first 3, 2 DE and DT, let's go with the premise of Crosby(DE), Parsons(DE), Buckner(DT) accounted for. Next, 3 LB's.... Gary(LB), Bolton(LB), Houston(LB)....Next DT/LB that's Graham and now the final guy Barimore. It sure looks like it would be a 4-3 defense. Another point because Crosby and Parsons are accounted for and their real life positions are DE, that only leaves you 3 LB, so Houston accounts for the 3rd LB. I get what your saying trust me but the chart is correct
FFS. Again with this?

Parsons (DE/LB)
Crosby (DE/LB)
Buckner (DT/DE)
Gary (DE/LB)
Bolton (LB)
Graham (DE/DT)
Barmore (DE/DT)

4 LBs- Parsons, Crosby, Gary, Bolton
2 DEs- Buckner, Graham
1 DT- Barmore

Those are my top 7 guys on my defense, and they FIT into my DC that way. However, James Houston, my 9th rated guy is in the DC ahead of Barmore.

It IS WRONG FOR THE LAST TIME.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Trust me guys, I'm not trying in anyway to be a jerk, even if it comes off that way.

I've been in these leagues since the inception. I know how a depth chart works, I know how OL and DL grades work, and I know how position flexibility works.

If you're listed as a DE/LB, you have the opportunity to play those guys at either position, however it fits your depth chart.

It just so happens that all my guys fit correctly into the DC. I literally made moves this offseason to insure it if they all remained healthy.

If guys get hurt, all bets are off.

Now, Troy says there's a minimal difference RIGHT NOW, but my issue is its wrong, and down the road that might not be a miniscule difference. It might be substantial.

So, to point out a flaw, and consistently be told I'm wrong isn't right, and won't get this fixed.

I have always appreciated Troy, and the time and effort he puts into these leagues. I understand sometimes things are put on the "back burner." All I'm doing is bringing this to the attention of the commish, not only for my team, but any other team that might have this flaw as well anywhere among their grades. I mean, we all spend this time building a team, so you want your best players to be accounted for, don't you?

I know I do.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins