2015 RULES: Free Agency (Anonymous Bidding)

Should we continue with anonymous bidding in free agency?

Yes - continue not knowing team bids until player signed.
78%
No - go back to knowing all teams involved as bids entered.
22%

Total votes: 54

Onyxgem

Re: 2015 RULES: Free Agency (Anonymous Bidding)

Post by Onyxgem »

Jared A wrote:Nope... I'll be the first to admit that I'd be happy to bid against some of my rivals.

Rebel has been running away with the NFC North the past few years... he doesn't need anymore GOOD deals. If I know who is bidding on them, I will ensure they don't get a "steal".

And people say bidding just to drive up the price doesn't happen.... :roll:
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I freely admit to it! haha
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

If it's a player that's about to sign for the minimum and another GM comes along and rebids the minimum amount. How much are they actually driving up the price?
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

Onyxgem wrote:
Jared A wrote:Nope... I'll be the first to admit that I'd be happy to bid against some of my rivals.

Rebel has been running away with the NFC North the past few years... he doesn't need anymore GOOD deals. If I know who is bidding on them, I will ensure they don't get a "steal".

All the more reason to keep the bidding anonymous.

"Talent Hoarder"
jmondo

Post by jmondo »

Well...

If your intent is to just "drive up the price" you are taking a risk, especially when it gets into the high rent district for players.... because unlike the rumor mills of the NFL, where prices artificially get bid up...

Each bid is an ACTUAL contract offer, one that can be awarded to you...
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

RebelFan wrote:If it's a player that's about to sign for the minimum and another GM comes along and rebids the minimum amount. How much are they actually driving up the price?

But, the longer the player stays on the market, the more teams will get interested. As players start to sign, teams change their targets.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

RebelFan wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

All the more reason to keep the bidding anonymous.
Like I said before it would be better open so people can see who the snipers are, it is not like they can't make educated guesses anyway who is going after who
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

Onyxgem wrote: Like I said before it would be better open so people can see who the snipers are, it is not like they can't make educated guesses anyway who is going after who
But don't you remember Onyx? That's how it was before! You can call somebody out all you want to: shoutbox, PM, whatever, it's not gonna make any difference. It's within the framework of the rules to bid on whoever they want to, so you're depending on shaming someone into behaving a certain way, which isn't really gonna work too well. (It didn't before)
So if public & open bidding doesn't cause the desired change in behavior, then your argument is reduced to making it public again just for the sake of knowing... Not like you're gonna drive to someone's house and fight them bc you didn't get to sign some free agent for the league minimum. (Which probably shouldn't happen anyway if the player is worth a damn.)

"Talent Hoarder"
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

RebelFan wrote:
Onyxgem wrote: Not like you're gonna drive to someone's house and fight them bc you didn't get to sign some free agent for the league minimum. (Which probably shouldn't happen anyway if the player is worth a damn.)
LMAO. I think everybody here has had a free agent rage moment. I know I have.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Ulrich82

Post by Ulrich82 »

Why does it matter if you see who the snipers are? It won't stop Jared. Heck, it won't stop me if I think the player is going for too low a deal. I'd rather try to get him on my team at a given price.

I also don't understand the problem people have with last minute bids. This isn't ebay where the last bid stands. You get another 24 hours to counter that bid. It's disappointing when you thought you were going to get the player signed, but it is part of the game. What if I use one of my 5 bids on player X and another GM outbids me 3 minutes later. I wait 24 hours for my bid to free up, and I place a new bid. I don't see any problem with that scenario. If you restrict my ability to make a last minute bid there, you are either giving the player to my competitor or forcing me to burn 2 of my 5 bids to stay alive in the competition for player X. The whole thing seems recursively ridiculous to me. If you restrict bids in the last 30 minutes, you turn the 24 hour clock into a 23.5 hour clock. Then people will complain about last minute bids coming in just before the final 30 minute window begins, etc.

jmondo, I think your DMBO example is actually the exact opposite of what you want to show. Players should go for market value which requires people making the bids they are comfortable with. If you give up on a player early because your competitor has more cap space, the competitor might get a better deal than he should have.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014