Tanking

kevinl

Re: Tanking

Post by kevinl »

Lol I'm not bothered by any of it so why give an opinion. You stack draft picks that's the strategy you want. A bad one IMO but it's your squad. I think if you want to tank for a better draft position, it's a good strategy.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

kevinl wrote:Lol I'm not bothered by any of it so why give an opinion. You stack draft picks that's the strategy you want. A bad one IMO but it's your squad. I think if you want to tank for a better draft position, it's a good strategy.
Says the person who did it just a few years ago... :roll:
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

TylerW wrote:Like others have said, it should be in a different topic but if you take issue with a team stacking 17 1st round picks over the next 2 years then you should also take issue with teams that have 3 total picks over the next 2 years. I think if you take each of those situations and apply them to real life, the GM with 3 total picks over the next 2 years is more likely to be fired.

Plus, these hypotheticals like Manning sleeping with the GM's wife is a little ridiculous and seves no purpose. These leagues have no external factors other than playing your best rated players or those providing the best update possible. Benching a top 10 fantasy QB and then not putting a top fantasy RB in the #1 depth position is far worse for the league than draft pick stocking.
How do you determine when the cutoff is? While manning might be obvious others may not be but could have the same intent. Again I'm ok with fining that particular owner. And perhaps a different thread was needed for my topic, but I saw a topic that read tanking (which I interpret as trying to lose) and I felt it was appropriate thing to add. Seeing how the cowboys did about as good of job building a dynasty with draft picks and nearly got himself fired before they started winning. that I have ever seen but did not come close to what we see in this league with stockpile of picks. I stand by what I said I feel it is worse than tanking couple games at end of season compared to a whole season or 2. 0-32. My first season in this league I made a few tough decisions in getting rid of Walter jones, Patrick Kearney don't remember all of them got a few draft picks but was intent on trying to win and went 9-7. I may have had 3 1st at one point. But to get more than that is coming close to fire sell and obviously TANKING. Florida marlins did it and that ownership group is a disgrace the rest of baseballs owners feel the same
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

I had 4. Jacob great post. I believe 10 wins in 3 years and you get fired would get rid of the fire sale.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

kevinl wrote:I had 4. Jacob great post. I believe 10 wins in 3 years and you get fired would get rid of the fire sale.
Firing GMs has come up a lot in a lot of other posts. I mentioned before that's not a workable league expansion policy though when expanded leagues will probably be pay-to-play. But possible in select leagues.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

kevinl wrote:I had 4. Jacob great post. I believe 10 wins in 3 years and you get fired would get rid of the fire sale.
It was a bad idea when it was brought up over the offseason, people are here to have fun and build teams how they want, nobody is getting paid to put a great team on the field so there is ZERO reason to fire anybody from a team for having fun.
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

Then why complain?
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

Onyxgem wrote:
It was a bad idea when it was brought up over the offseason, people are here to have fun and build teams how they want, nobody is getting paid to put a great team on the field so there is ZERO reason to fire anybody from a team for having fun.
It is fun I enjoy it no matter how teams build. I had a rough night at work come home to my wife in bed with the baby. Try to give her a nudge a hand on her butt and all I get is a moan and a push of my hand away. So sorry I was frustrated so jump on here and really don't care how teams build only thought that draft stockpile in my OPINION is worse than tank a couple games at end of season. So felt I should post. Anyway it was either that or go rub one off in bathroom.
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

lol
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

I'm fine with teams tanking on purpose and stacking up unrealistic amounts of 1st round picks but it is also annoying and ruins the competitive balance in the league.

I don't believe people should be fired (we're all here to have fun) but it sometimes messes with the teams around you. For example, if you're division has two teams who are tanking to stockpile picks that's four free wins a year the top two teams in the division are getting. With only two Wild Card spots available that puts those teams at a huge advantage over better teams in more competitive divisions where all the GMs want to win.

After the first year of the league I had to rebuild but I thought for the most part I tried to stay competitive. I dealt with injuries, draft picks not working out, and all that jazz but I always tried to improve my team and get a few wins. Not sure how much fun it can be for Troy to win the division every year.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL