09: Player Updates (Retirement, Suspensions, etc.)

Ben C.

Re: 09: Player Updates (Retirement, Suspensions, etc.)

Post by Ben C. »

Do suspended players count against the 53 man limit during their suspension?
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I recall a thread asking to change that so that a suspended player wouldn't count against 53 and wouldn't have to be out all year. I'll bring that in, but it probably will have to be a manual process where teams can put the player on suspended list and then PM me to change it weeks later to bring him back and I can do that if he's eligible to play again.

To me, though, I don't know that it makes a big difference. The extra player carried for 1 or 2 or 4 games probably won't be rated high enough to get into any area strength grades as a deep backup, and if a skill position player could be put into the depth chart but if a border-line fringe roster guy probably isn't going to be highly productive. Maybe allows more time to keep a guy on the roster and see if something develops later versus cutting him earlier.

But if teams put players on the suspended list, and the player eligible to come back later after X number of games, just PM me when it's over and I can add them back off suspended assuming there is a roster spot available for them.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Goodell wrote:Maybe allows more time to keep a guy on the roster and see if something develops later versus cutting him earlier.
That's my reason right on the dot. Pace is suspended for 25% of the season. It's preferable to me to have that spot on the roster so I can keep one more person and see if they develop in the first quarter of the season.

Thanks.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

Please move Favre to active list for CFFL Vikings
thanks
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Goodell wrote:I recall a thread asking to change that so that a suspended player wouldn't count against 53 and wouldn't have to be out all year. I'll bring that in, but it probably will have to be a manual process where teams can put the player on suspended list and then PM me to change it weeks later to bring him back and I can do that if he's eligible to play again.

...if teams put players on the suspended list, and the player eligible to come back later after X number of games, just PM me when it's over and I can add them back off suspended assuming there is a roster spot available for them.
I'm going to try to make this more automated as the season goes along, but for now as mentioned before if you have a guy you added to the SUSPENDED 1 list for suspended 1 game (Boley, E.Johnson, S.Ellis) and have a roster spot open for them to return to the team now send me a note to re-activate them. I'll try to get all those eventually on my own but each week will be different players on different teams with different length suspensions ending and some teams will have an opening to re-add them and some won't, so if you want a suspended guy back and create a roster spot for him send me a PM to re-activate when he's eligible again. thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office