Post by Royce R »

I was offered this deal earlier:

Starting QB (not top 15 IMO)
Top 10 pick
3 3rds
4th

for

Nothing

:) I didnt accept just because I didnt want Troy to go through the trouble of returning it and the SB's.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Zapotek

Re: Suggesting some form of advice/caution for new GMs

Post by Zapotek »

Ben C. wrote:Both of those trades look acceptable to me, particularly the Harvin deal.
Thanks for the feedback. As I said, maybe you can can make an argument for that one. But the other one seems to me to be just plain bad. Chandler didn't do anything to drop in value from early first to early second round. Clearly NE doesn't think he's just a second round value, as he's being offered for early to mid first. I think that if either of those offers had received some publicity, better would have been forthcoming.
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Ben C. wrote:Both of those trades look acceptable to me, particularly the Harvin deal.
Yeah I would have to agree with Ben and Jared in this case. Harvin is on a 1 year deal. Going to get a serious pay day in the next year. Ridley is a solid back, but he isn't elite. If anything I would say that the GM for Chicago is doing a fine job, hedging against a lot of the 1 year contracts for future picks. He turned Mike Wallace for a 3rd from Onyx, and now Onyx more than likely will not be able to sign Wallace due to the 18,000,000 salary offered there. Jared is going to have to pay Harvin a ton of money next year, or someone else if traded. I think those trades are very fair considering the contract situations those players are in.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

I see nothing wrong with either of those trades at all

Got to remember chandler was hurt last year a bit also a couple ones even I believe
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Zapotek wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. As I said, maybe you can can make an argument for that one. But the other one seems to me to be just plain bad. Chandler didn't do anything to drop in value from early first to early second round. Clearly NE doesn't think he's just a second round value, as he's being offered for early to mid first. I think that if either of those offers had received some publicity, better would have been forthcoming.
Two thoughts:

1. Just because someone was a 1st round pick doesn't mean a GM still feels they are worth that today. Maybe the guy who traded him away wasn't so thrilled with Chandler's first season, and sought to get what he could before Chandler drops further.

2. NE doesn't have to think he's just a second round value. If NE thinks Chandler is worth more, then of course he will be willing to part with a 2nd for him, and NE is more than welcome to try and get a higher value out of him.

There are many, many factors at play in every trade.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

Ben C. wrote: 1. Just because someone was a 1st round pick doesn't mean a GM still feels they are worth that today. Maybe the guy who traded him away wasn't so thrilled with Chandler's first season, and sought to get what he could before Chandler drops further.
Onyxgem wrote: Got to remember chandler was hurt last year a bit also a couple ones even I believe
The guy racked up 6 sacks and 33 tackles (18 solo) in his first 8 weeks in the league. He then suffered ankle injuries (which have not required surgery) and had no sacks after. I agree that 6 sacks as a rookie is not brilliant, but 6 over his first half season should surely not knock his value down?
Ben C. wrote: 2. NE doesn't have to think he's just a second round value. If NE thinks Chandler is worth more, then of course he will be willing to part with a 2nd for him, and NE is more than welcome to try and get a higher value out of him.

There are many, many factors at play in every trade.
Let me ask you this: How many of you would have traded Chandler for that 2nd? This is not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know. I wouldn't have, but it's possible that I'm just incorrectly valuing him. Equally seriously, how many of you would have paid more for him? I'd happily pay a late 1st for him and consider I was getting a good deal.

If you guys say you would have traded him for that 2nd, or you wouldn't have paid more for him, then fair enough. I guess I'm just wrong. On the other hand, if you wouldn't have sold so low, or you would have paid more, then I'd suggest that one of the key factors at play in this trade is a new GM who may not have had much experience in player value and didn't think to shop around.

So that I'm absolutely clear: NE did nothing wrong. Jared's conduct is completely within the rules. I'm not suggesting otherwise, nor suggesting that the rules need to be changed. All I'm saying is that if, as I hypothesise, GM inexperience can lead to poor deals being made, we should educate new GMs to minimise the risk.
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I don't need nor want an assistant GM, but I'd be happy to help anyone out who might have a question about the rules, free agency, or anything that might not be so obvious to someone new.

And I do accept picks as tips too. :)
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Zapotek wrote: Let me ask you this: How many of you would have traded Chandler for that 2nd? This is not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know. I wouldn't have, but it's possible that I'm just incorrectly valuing him. Equally seriously, how many of you would have paid more for him? I'd happily pay a late 1st for him and consider I was getting a good deal.

If you guys say you would have traded him for that 2nd, or you wouldn't have paid more for him, then fair enough. I guess I'm just wrong. On the other hand, if you wouldn't have sold so low, or you would have paid more, then I'd suggest that one of the key factors at play in this trade is a new GM who may not have had much experience in player value and didn't think to shop around.

So that I'm absolutely clear: NE did nothing wrong. Jared's conduct is completely within the rules. I'm not suggesting otherwise, nor suggesting that the rules need to be changed. All I'm saying is that if, as I hypothesise, GM inexperience can lead to poor deals being made, we should educate new GMs to minimise the risk.
I would have traded him for a 2nd. I had a 2nd round grade on him last year, and think he was drafted too high to begin with.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

I dont think its fair to look to deep into this trade.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Royce R wrote:I dont think its fair to look to deep into this trade.
Exactly, Royce, this is supposed to be a thread for helping new GM's not dissecting their trades and their moves.

For me the standard has to be very, very high to reverse a trade. On top of that I don't know how rookie GM's learn without making a couple of bad trades or moves. I have made a ton of them. I anticipate I might make a few more before all is said and done.

All I can say is do your homework when making a trade. There's a ton of info out there on these players.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner