2013 RULES: Real Playoff or Averaged Game Choice

Goodell

2013 RULES: Real Playoff or Averaged Game Choice

Post by Goodell »

In some ways the workload lessens when the playoffs start because less physical games to run, but really it takes so much longer to run each game with all the different things to check and double-check before running.

The choice for sim playoff teams with players in real playoff games to either use a real performance or an averaged game really contributes to that time involved.

I really have to track every skill position player on an individual basis for every team in the playoffs across all leagues. And if we ever expand to more leagues, that'll become really difficult to stay on top of all those decisions. Those choices also impact which averaged game figure is pulled for each individual, as we have a different averaged game number from game to game for more realistic outcomes overall (not just 1 TD and 1 INT each and every game, but 2 TDs and 1 INT the next game average if a player would throw 3 TDs on average over 2 games). Some of the players on one sim playoff team might be using their 3rd game average while others are using their 2nd game average because they've previously used a real game performance instead. Just makes it complicated to track and have to go slowly and carefully not to make mistakes and takes a long time to adjust everyone's numbers.

Also with situations sometimes where I may be slow with results and sometimes GMs might miss posted deadlines for those decisions (as happened at least once this off-season with a strong game update decision posted late).

I was thinking might need to be a better way to do that. Need to adjust the programming to have the system do more of that multiple game average tracking and calculations for itself instead of me doing manually.

Also thinking of instituting more of an automatic mechanism to kick in using a real playoff game update instead of average overall, so that if Colin Kaepernick has a brilliant game his playoff update is used across the board instead of some sim team in one league lucking out because a GM in one league didn't post by a deadline unfortunately. Making that more part of a scalable system overall that can grow rather than individual determination that has to be manually entered/tracked on a team-by-team basis that's doable with just a couple leagues but near impossible manually if leagues expanded.

I won't post any poll on options here yet, but hopefully can edit to add a poll possibly later if some thoughts on this aspect of the game. My sense based upon past questions is people like having the choice and GM responsibilities for posting by deadlines, but it creates some potential fairness and inefficiencies that make the league more difficult to maintain and grow. May be some ways of building and tracking some of those choices within automated tools, but wanting to throw this issue out also for possible suggestions/preferences.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Re: 2013 RULES: Real Playoff or Averaged Game Choice

Post by Ben C. »

Would it work to program something into the depth chart (or a separate page since depth charts get locked before the game) that would allow a GM to choose a playoff update? Then program the sim to run a query to see if any playoff updates were selected.

I'm not a huge fan of the system deciding what a "huge" update is. I also like having some strategy decisions to make in the playoffs.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

I think the averages should be used.

Our commish has enough to do than worry if he is getting all the requests in.

Furthermore, during the season, we have to pick the lineup before we know how well that player does that week. Somehow in the postseason, we know the future?

I am for cutting the workload on the commish and making postseason simulation - simple.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Yeah I have to agree with Adam here on this. We should follow the playoffs the same way we do with the regular season. NFL has no idea what a player will do in any game. Why should we all of the sudden be able to know in the playoffs of our sim league? Seems like a fair option and less headache on Troy to set a line up and hope it works out for you. Just like in real life
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

If that's the case, we need to get rid of injuries in the playoffs too.

Personally, I like the usage of real life stats. It makes the games more important, and more likely an underdog team can win.

(see Kapernick this year)
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Why get rid of injuries? It's the unpredictability of the NFL that makes it so great. Good things and bad things happen. Why should we play any different?
- SB Champ 23’
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

tino38 wrote:Why get rid of injuries? It's the unpredictability of the NFL that makes it so great. Good things and bad things happen. Why should we play any different?
I agree. Injuries need to be there. If a guy is on IR, he can't be playing. If a guy is out the week before, he goes to doubtful, then questionable, etc. I think it works the way it is. And this is coming from a person, who may have lost postseason games in back-to-back seasons because his team's starting QB was injured (not IR'd) heading into the playoffs.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

If we use their playoff stayts then those teams need to decide what stats they need to use BEFORE those games are played.[code[/code]
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Onyxgem wrote:If we use their playoff stayts then those teams need to decide what stats they need to use BEFORE those games are played.[code[/code]
Exactly. Like in the regular season.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Yeah I can agree with Onyx on that as well.
- SB Champ 23’