2013 RULES: GM Accountability

Do you like the idea of "firing" a sim GM?

No
13%
Yes - But only in AFFL and with easy standards to meet.
33%
Yes - But only in AFFL and with a higher standard.
15%
Yes - Across all leagues.
38%

Total votes: 60

hoopie44641

Re: 2013 RULES: GM Accountability

Post by hoopie44641 »

I agree and its sad there are GMs not trying to win. It takes the fun out of the leagues. Also in the AFFL GMs should be trying to win because its the best league. I own the STL Rams in the CFFL entering my second season. in 2012 I went 6-10 and Im going to work my but off to build a winner.
EFFL- Baltimore Ravens overall record 11-6
2023 11-6 WC

CFFL- Detroit Lions overall record 5-29
2023 3-14
2022 2-15

CFFL - ST.Louis Rams: Overall record 59-85
2012 -220 WC 2017 DC 2020
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

Ulrich82 wrote:I agree 100% with the last posts from Stategist and Zapotek. The rule is to prevent teams from doing this in the future. You can rebuild reasonably, but you won't be able to completely gut and team to stockpile tons of cap space and picks (at least without a lot of risk).
That's perfectly fine. In other sim leagues I play in it's annoying when people cut their teams and are bad for several years but this league is completely different. In other sports/sims you can be competitive without having a star player but here if you don't have an above average QB (and they are rather limited), you aren't going to win very many games. I've had this AFFL Giants team for 2 seasons. The team was full of crappy contracts and no QB. I had the #1 overall pick last year (Luck) and traded it for Vick + 2 firsts or something along those lines. Vick was signed for 4 years making less than a million per coming off an above average real life year. Then Vick got hurt and crapped the bed to start the year so I traded him at the deadline (this year) for a 1st rounder and "gutted" the crappy contracts.

I'm not about to shell out $80 mil of contracts to sign the best FA for 1 season just so I can win 10 games and then be right back at square one.

You can build a team whatever way you want but without a QB you have nothing. In the DFFL this year I had a D core of Chris Long, Antonio Smith, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, DeMarcus Ware, Brian Cushing, Laron Landry, and Prince Amukamara but went 2-14 thanks to injuries and a garbage QB.

Essentially, my point is that the only reason GM's should be replaced is because they are inactive, miss drafts, FA, or other important periods of the season. No one is paying or getting paid to be a GM and participate here.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Strategist wrote:Sport I would say your turning around an 0-16 team in the Dffl is a bit different than it is now in the AFFL. When the DFFL started there were alot of people that didn't know what they were doing and could be taken advantage of. That really isn't the case in the AFFL.
That was shark, not me my man.

I've never taken over a winless team, and I'll never operate a winless team either.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

FYI, I'm in full rebuild mode with the Raiders, traded anyone that wasn't a part of my future, ate whatever bad contracts I had, and now I have some money to spend, and more picks than I know what to do with.

Oh, and I still won 5 games last year.

I agree we shouldn't have a hardline stand necessarily on "if you don't win this amount, you're gone," but its not all that difficult to win games in these leagues if you try.

Now, if you want to talk about winning in the playoffs, that's a different story. My CFFL Lions suck at it, yet the last 3 years, I've piled up a 42-6 regular season record. And that team was shit when I took over.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

sportznut wrote:FYI, I'm in full rebuild mode with the Raiders, traded anyone that wasn't a part of my future, ate whatever bad contracts I had, and now I have some money to spend, and more picks than I know what to do with.

I agree we shouldn't have a hardline stand necessarily on "if you don't win this amount, you're gone," but its not all that difficult to win games in these leagues if you try.

Now, if you want to talk about winning in the playoffs, that's a different story. My CFFL Lions suck at it, yet the last 3 years, I've piled up a 42-6 regular season record. And that team was shit when I took over.
And Andy Dalton had the 7th most TDs for a QB in real life this year.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

TylerW wrote:
sportznut wrote:FYI, I'm in full rebuild mode with the Raiders, traded anyone that wasn't a part of my future, ate whatever bad contracts I had, and now I have some money to spend, and more picks than I know what to do with.

Right. The point is still the same. I said I gutted the team from anyone not in my future plans. Some of these teams would trade the ball boy if they could. :)
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

sportznut wrote:Right. The point is still the same. I said I gutted the team from anyone not in my future plans. Some of these teams would trade the ball boy if they could. :)
Ball boy for future considerations?
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Jared A wrote:
sportznut wrote:Right. The point is still the same. I said I gutted the team from anyone not in my future plans. Some of these teams would trade the ball boy if they could. :)
Ball boy for future considerations?
I should've said waterboy. "That's some high quality H20." haha
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

sportznut wrote:
TylerW wrote:

Right. The point is still the same. I said I gutted the team from anyone not in my future plans. Some of these teams would trade the ball boy if they could. :)
Yeah but the difference was you had a good QB and no matter what the rest of your team looks like you are going to win a few games here and there so long as you got a good one.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Onyxgem wrote:Yeah but the difference was you had a good QB and no matter what the rest of your team looks like you are going to win a few games here and there so long as you got a good one.
That is true that you need a quality QB to win consistently in this league, but I've seen teams win with QBs who have no stats, poor grades, and haven't gotten off the bench IRL in years. I'm not saying teams could win often under those circumstances, but they could still win a game IMO.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins