2011 RULES: Draft or Wait

How should the labor issues impact our sim draft?

Keep it real. April draft. Can't trade players, but only swap picks like NFL currently.
42%
Wait. Hold off draft until we know more about our salary cap and new rules, then hold draft allowing players to be dealt for picks.
18%
Forget labor issues, allow trades of either players or picks without limitation and without salary cap consideration knowing cap changes could be coming later pending NFL agreement.
38%
Other Suggestions (post below)
2%

Total votes: 50

tino38

Re: 2011 RULES: Draft or Wait

Post by tino38 »

I would be willing to help in any way also. I have a lot of down time in the summer since I don't have to attend classes and I can just work. I travel a lot when I work so I always have my computer with me.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Judge ruled more mediation... leaves the problem open ended.
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I can't believe people honestly want to bull into this. Oh well to each their own. It's not like I have any draft picks anyway! :lol:

I guess I'll change my vote to keeping it exactly like NFL. But I'm on record that waiting is the smart thing to do.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

This time before the draft, during this suggested mediation period that the judge advised before they come back with a ruling the sides may not like, might be the time something happens at the last minute to allow teams to deal players or resume some kind of normal activity. If not, I think it could be a long while before something resolved unless some judge forces the issue.

If the real draft happens without any agreement and a deal seems terribly far away at that time, we'll have to think about proceeding ourselves one way or another.

NFL teams are dealing with uncertainty. We try to keep it real, and some uncertainty for our organizations also in our mirrored sim environment until the legal matters straightened out.

The best thing for us IMO for how I'd like the league to be grounded in realism is for this mess to get resolved before the draft and regular activity to resume under some familiar system.

The real NFL draft is going to happen no matter what, and that NFL activity should bring more GMs around here and we'll get it resolved for ourselves during that time. I'd like to think we'll have something new come up before then to help make the path clearer, but I guess we'll see.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Hopefully good news today on the labor front, and might even know more soon before the real draft whether the lockout will be truly lifted and things operate temporarily under last year's agreements. I am hopeful the picture will be cleared up soon as to whether the answers are coming soon or if it'll be a long time before the NFL gets back to business. We aren't going to jump the gun and make up crap if the real NFL we try to mirror will have it's answers as it is sounding could be a possiblity now with today's ruling and pending tomorrow's appeal on the stay. I was waiting for something like this to answer our questions. But if this hope for clarity dries up, we'll post a new poll soon about going ahead with our own draft in the short-term under the NFL's no-trade situation to maintain our focus on reality or continue waiting out the details for a full off-season under new rules when they come. And if they never come and the NFL season is postponed or delayed, we'd deal with that as that possibility became more of a reality. But I'm hopefully we'll know a lot more in the next day or two.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

If it comes to a vote, I'll be heading north Monday or Tuesday... from there it'll take a week for me to get internet.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Jared A wrote:If it comes to a vote, I'll be heading north Monday or Tuesday... from there it'll take a week for me to get internet.

Yeah it is really to bad we are not starting this on Friday evening or sat like we do normally...takes alot of the luster out of the draft.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-morning/

It is sounding like NFL facilities will be open to players tomorrow, including passing out playbooks, getting treatment again, and scheduling OTAs. Per report, the NFL could also send an off-season schedule to teams soon that could include the start of free agency as soon as next week for the NFL.

I'm sorry many don't want to wait but the off-season is LONG between now and September, and I can't just jack our system's rules all around over and over again as it takes a lot to change programming. The league isn't intended to be unrealistic with completely fake rules either. It's intended to be realistic and realistic = mess right now, but sounds like it could be clearing up very soon.

Thanks for sending me the note about your travel, Jared. If anybody else has issues with timing in the next month, send me a PM or reply here as we'll start to put our schedule together also if the NFL is about to put theirs into motion for this off-season under some kind of to-be-announced rules that we'd mostly follow in the interest of that realism.

We can't start our own off-season with trading/signing without any salary cap rules in place. The NFL will have their off-season rules out soon it sounds like and begin their own league year soon, and that will help solidify how our environment should be adjusted before starting our own new league year. We could have just done the draft now like the NFL without anything else, but not overwhelming support for that from the players here. If the NFL off-season looked like it would take years to sort out, we'd do our draft like the NFL is doing theirs without trades/signings as unpopular as that would be for many of the voters or their plans (it wrecked real teams plans too), but I don't think we are too far from knowing how the real NFL off-season is going to play out which would allow us to probably do a more normal off-season and not have to mess with our rules/programming as much for temporary situations like the NFL finds themselves having to adjust on the fly this year.

It hopefully won't be too much longer before we can have a better idea of how our off-season should work as the NFL figures theirs out too.
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Sounds great Troy! I agree with you 100%.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13