Draft Day

What day would you prefer our college draft starts?

Friday 4/24 - day before the draft so our first round before real one.
12%
Saturday 4/25 - our first round same day as real one.
9%
Sunday 4/26 - start ours a day after real one but during that same weekend and NFL day two underway at same time.
30%
Monday 4/27 - start ours at beginning of week day after draft.
30%
Saturday 5/2 - start a week later.
18%

Total votes: 33

Jared A

Re: Draft Day

Post by Jared A »

While it's boring, I think it was fun. It gave us a LOT more time to work out trades. One thing is maybe make the slots shorter.
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

I would side with Jared on that one if anything make the slots a bit smaller maybe two rounds a day next year.
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Michael D. wrote:I would side with Jared on that one if anything make the slots a bit smaller maybe two rounds a day next year.
Yeah, that's possible. Two rounds a day with time windows is 10 minutes or less per pick. That would be okay with me but not sure about everyone if trading while on the clock is something people want time to do. Although the time windows usually give people more than their slotted time to think about things ahead of time. We can see how it goes with the 3rd rounders and beyond at 15 minutes each and see if moving it down to 10 minutes in the future would be a good thing for most or if that's just too fast to get any negotiations while on the clock if a guy you wanted was picked ahead of you and you want to move down.

All feedback is great, but we'll typically have extremes on both sides -- some loving the time windows to schedule things and some wanting it to flow faster with the clock resetting on each pick. That's why I was thinking compromise with first rounder with no window while most people paying attention to the first round and then going to windows after for lower picks.

But just making smaller time windows could also work toward meeting in the middle a bit. We'll see how the 15 minute windows go and look at maybe shorter windows next year if squeezing double the picks in a day.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

The time is the first round is ok I guess. Seemed to drag a bit for me.

But its going to be horrible waiting until Saturday finishing this up.

I think 2 rounds/day would be great.

Keep the slotted times and you will have time to get your trades done before hand.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

I don't have a strong feeling either way. I am just wondering why are we hurrying through the draft. Is it broke?? Is there something important the league has to do this week? If you keep it to one round a day, you are able to set your draft lists each night. That is 7 nights where you can do something football related. If you are doing two rounds a day, you realistically have to list 50 or more players if you have a late selection in the later round. I don't know about anyone else, but if I am setting a draft list for 50 guys, I don't think guys 40 - 50 will get the proper attention.

As for my selection, I figured Percy Harvin would fall to me. So what if he smokes pot, I am he Minnesota Vikings and he would fit right in. I will be lucky if only 2 of my guys are suspended for the start of the season. My offense was to boring anyway. Then he gets picked. So when I am on deck I saw Chris Wells at Arizona. Even though I didn't have a great need for RB, he was tempting so I decided I would take him. Bam, he goes to. I have a need for DE so I took Tyson Jackson, even though he went to the Chiefs. It isn't often you get a top three pick in the NFL at 17. I did give serious consideration to Heyward-Bey but with Oakland's offense, I was scared away.

As for todays draft, I am offering a pick to move up with the pick dependant upon how far I move. I have errands to run though. My wife is having hip replacement surgery Wednesday and we have to check out a rehab center (friend recommended a different one than the one she chose).

I am a Jet fan in real life. I have no idea if Sanchez will work out but you have to give them credit for having the guts to go up and get him.

Larry
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I don't get the rush either. We are going to have 3-4 months of boring dead time, so I don't know why we're fretting over a few days of it. I was off yesterday as was several others, but that doesn't mean everyone was. I wouldn't be opposed to going to 2 rds a day, but I think more importantly would be adding a auto pick feature. If a GM knows he's going to be away and doesn't want to hold up the draft, then there could be an option where each GM have to choice to have their top Queued player drafted as soon as their pick is on the clock. This would need to be an option we select for each pick individually though, as needs might change from pick to pick.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

soonertf wrote:I don't get the rush either. We are going to have 3-4 months of boring dead time, so I don't know why we're fretting over a few days of it. I was off yesterday as was several others, but that doesn't mean everyone was. I wouldn't be opposed to going to 2 rds a day, but I think more importantly would be adding a auto pick feature. If a GM knows he's going to be away and doesn't want to hold up the draft, then there could be an option where each GM have to choice to have their top Queued player drafted as soon as their pick is on the clock. This would need to be an option we select for each pick individually though, as needs might change from pick to pick.
I'd want to expand even further on the auto pick feature in this sense.

If everyone knows when the draft is, and someone doesn't even bother to check in for the week or queue a single player, put them on autopick.

Chances are you're going to have to replace them anyways if they didn't even bother to show up or queue anyone.

I'm not talking about a day or even two, but a week before the draft?

Of course, if they manage to show up, they can always turn the autopick off.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

That kind of setting when a team knew it was going to be away (or I could flip on also) would primarily be useful in the old format where the clock is reset with every pick. That was discussed last draft I believe. But most wanted to go away from that format, and such a setting doesn't really help as much with assigned strict time windows.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

I'm in the "let's not rush it" camp. This is one of, if not the most fun thing we do in this league...why the hurry for it to end? I loved the draft windows because I didn't have to be scared to run an errand or even go to church on Sunday morning and potentially miss my pick.

I also like the autopick feature that someone can turn on as a courtesy.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I don't see it as a rush, but I do get everyone's points.

My main issue is that you're going to have 4 guys in a row take a total of 20 minutes to make their picks, then you'll have one person not here, not even queued, and not on auto, that will take 3 hours.

I like it how it was before, where it reset the clock, but if people want the time windows to continue, then I agree about shortening them a little bit.

As sooner alluded to, its very difficult to queue up a bunch of players, especially if you have multiple picks.

I'm sure if you're targeting one position at one pick, you might not with your next pick, providing you get someone you want.

In order to do that, Troy would have to work out some complicated logic, if (a) happens, don't do (b).

You'd have to have separate queues for every single pick as well.

At the end of the day, I hate autodrafts b/c there are a LOT of flaws in that type of system.

The thought of being able to trade the rights to a player means nothing to me if I somehow got a player I didn't want, and the player I wanted is no longer available.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins