Draft Day

What day would you prefer our college draft starts?

Friday 4/24 - day before the draft so our first round before real one.
12%
Saturday 4/25 - our first round same day as real one.
9%
Sunday 4/26 - start ours a day after real one but during that same weekend and NFL day two underway at same time.
30%
Monday 4/27 - start ours at beginning of week day after draft.
30%
Saturday 5/2 - start a week later.
18%

Total votes: 33

Goodell

Re: Draft Day

Post by Goodell »

You should be able to see an ESTIMATE of cap charges for your current draft picks -- listed both on the roster page in the draft box as well as in more detail with estimate per pick listed on your draft screen toward the bottom. Those estimates based upon last year's slot structures and also inserting the new rookie minimum this year instead of last year's minimum. We always look at real rookie contracts in July before signing our own here, but shouldn't change our rookie contract structures too much this year so estimates should be close. Let me know if you have one that just seems off based upon previous rookie contracts. http://www.fangm.com/affl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=490
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Is that all together or just the first pick up?
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Troy S

Post by Troy S »

It's the sum of all a team's picks. They are broken down by pick on the bottom of the main draft page for your team. The contracts will be like always with some signing bonus (massive signing bonuses for first rounders) and roster bonuses on top of the rookie salary scale for most. The 2009 cap calculation just looks at what it would total this year taking the prorated signing bonus amount .

The last pick in the 7th would get something like a 3-year deal with $310,000 salary in 09 and $30,000 Signing Bonus. The top pick in the draft based upon last year (which would be modified slightly after we see some of this year's deals to keep in line) would get something like a 6-year deal at $4M Roster Bonus + $310,000 base salary and $31M guaranteed signing bonus... and everyone else somewhere in between similarly to how they were paid last year at the link above.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

We'll have full-blown discussions on it both during this week and polls again before the draft next year but thinking about a hybrid system next year...

1st round - As years before with pick clock resetting after each selection like real draft (20 minutes or whatever per pick) with no time windows. Draft would switch to time window at end of first round and 2-1 due that next morning (and could be entered sooner as always).

2nd round - 7th Round : Time Windows like now where teams know exactly when they will be on the clock to schedule around it and know they don't have to check constantly to not be passed over.

A hybrid system using both seemed complicated but in changing the scripts to the time windows last night it wouldn't be too bad, but hopefully just not too confusing with round one being different then the others that follow. But would keep things more entertaining that first round on Sunday without the time windows and things moving more quickly, but then getting those windows back for the later rounds during the work week when scheduling perhaps more important.

We've tried things a couple of different ways and hoping to get more concensus on the best way and sticking to that for the most part in future seasons.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Goodell wrote:1st round - As years before with pick clock resetting after each selection like real draft (20 minutes or whatever per pick) with no time windows. Draft would switch to time window at end of first round and 2-1 due that next morning (and could be entered sooner as always).
THIS!
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

If we're going to stay at one round per day, I don't see why it hurts to do the time slots. It allows everyone to know when their pick is due & still accomplish work durin the day. It worked great for me today & I had three picks.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I find nothing wrong with how it was before this year.

Keep a clock running from 10 AM to 10 PM, and we'll get in however many picks are made.

Also, I'd like for there to be an autopick option for those who know for a fact they won't be here, or haven't logged within one week prior to the draft.

As always, I'll go with the flow (and bitch about it), but these are my ideas.

If its not broken, don't attempt to fix it.

Last year was just fine.

20 minutes per first rounders; 15 minutes for every round after.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

I'm with Sport. Liked the way it was done last year.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

whteshark wrote:I'm with Sport. Liked the way it was done last year.
I'm fine with that as long as the draft continues past one round per day. If we're doing only one round per day then I prefer the slotted picks.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

RyanM wrote:
whteshark wrote:I'm with Sport. Liked the way it was done last year.
I'm fine with that as long as the draft continues past one round per day. If we're doing only one round per day then I prefer the slotted picks.
I agree with Ryan right here. There is no sense in keeping it at one round per day and then not having slotted picks. I mean I'm finding it helpful for future rounds, as I plan my best to be there.
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)