Madden 2010 Ratings

Goodell

Re: Madden 2010 Ratings

Post by Goodell »

RyanM wrote:My only complaint about either of the scales is that we're essentially saying that either 69.28% (Ben's) or 75.63% (Troy's scale) of the players in the league are either below average starters or worse. I think the "B" rated scale maybe needs to be extended to capture more of the players, which are "solid starters".
Out of up to 80 man rosters in the preseason (and at least that many per team within the system overall) there are only 24 starters per each team -- so that's like 30% of the league are technically starters if I have it right.

And how many "starters" in today's salary-cap parity world are not truly established? How many are starting mostly because of injuries or bad team depth or because of a situation? If only 5% of those "starters" are not really established starters who'd start for any team (and I'd personally say that's low), then that makes it 25% established starter level players about at the figure quoted above. There are a ton of backups and unsigned free agent types in the league and our system filling up the bottom 75% of grade scale.

More than just general percentages, though, looking at the individuals and the grouping of individuals is important and trying to make sure that our letter grades fit the groupings established by same madden rating for the most part. It's difficult with so much difference of opinion, but hopefully where we put the markers for the various accomplishment levels matches the groupings as best we can on the whole.

Can we map some individuals who really should be "established starters" (not unproven rookies or guys battling for starter spot or questionable starters there because of injury) who aren't graded as such? Probably but that's likely something with the madden score that maybe doesn't fit the judgement of others, but we'd need to find many within the same madden score group that are not classified as they should and can shift the scale accordingly.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Andrew P

Post by Andrew P »

Michael D. wrote:Just, what I can't believe is that one of the best MLB in the game Antonio Pierce is only rated 86. Anyway, why did Sam Madison not get a grade? Isn't he only an FA and not retired?

Sam Madison is retired
GM Record 51-19
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

On your team roster page I have now modified the letter grades according to the scale modifications discussed. We may still adjust the scale further but wanted to see what it would all look like to better assess things. The Team Rosters page has also been updated with a table that will allow you to sort the league by cap room, players on roster, and team grades for OL/WR/F7/DB.

http://www.fangm.com/football/rosters.php?league=affl
http://www.fangm.com/football/rosters.php?league=cffl

It's nice to have anyway and wanting to add for a while, but mostly did it now because I wanted to see what impact the revised grade scale would have on team rankings. I was worried they would be shifted way up from last year and look extreme compared to what we were used to, but I don't think that's the case. You certainly will have some extremes on both ends but I think it's not too foreign with the grade scale adjustment.

For those figures to be updated, someone has to view either that team's roster page (to update financial totals) or that team's depth chart (to update team grade averages).
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Andrew P wrote:
Michael D. wrote:Just, what I can't believe is that one of the best MLB in the game Antonio Pierce is only rated 86. Anyway, why did Sam Madison not get a grade? Isn't he only an FA and not retired?

Sam Madison is retired
You sure? I couldn't find anything on retirement when I was looking for a grade.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I believe Madden only rated 55 players per team (and most have around 80 in camp) so there are bound to be people without grades right now battling for roster spots -- and many players still looking for a team who wouldn't be on their team rosters posted yet. Before the season starts and throughout it weekly, hopefully there will continue to be publically available updates to grade adjustments. Like before, any player who doesn't have a madden score (and usually we'll find updates about grades for free agents available) we'll set a default score at a lower backup level.
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

Yikes
Hope we dont base value on those stats. More worthless than Maddens way off guesses

Dan R. wrote:OL's do accumulate stats - you just need to know where to look.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/findplayer.a ... osition=95

That site has OL stats - not sortable, which makes things a real pain in the arse, but it has them (such as false starts, penalties against, sacks against, etc.). The only other thing, mostly for inside linemen that it doesn't have is how well an OL does against the run, but that can usually be figured out by a team's YPC.
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

Do you have a source on that Andrew? All of mine say he is just a FA.
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)
Andrew P

Post by Andrew P »

Michael D. wrote:Do you have a source on that Andrew? All of mine say he is just a FA.

I know when I had him in the offseason, SD wanted to trade for him. I was not sure about letting him go because he was a B player for me. I checked on Rotoworld and they said he would not be Giants this year and that he was prob going to retire. Thats why I gave him to SD for a 5th round pick.
GM Record 51-19
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

Andrew P wrote:
Michael D. wrote:Do you have a source on that Andrew? All of mine say he is just a FA.

I know when I had him in the offseason, SD wanted to trade for him. I was not sure about letting him go because he was a B player for me. I checked on Rotoworld and they said he would not be Giants this year and that he was prob going to retire. Thats why I gave him to SD for a 5th round pick.
Yeah, he was released from the Giants, but I can't find anything that says he actually did retire.
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

ouch with these new ratings my team declined a lot compared to last season.

and i basically gave up all my picks last season looks like this year could be a struggle.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44