2011 RULES: Salary Floors

Should we have a salary cap floor?

No
52%
Yes - If a GM doesn't comply, candidate for GM replacement for mismanagement.
37%
Yes - If a team is under the floor, automatic cap hit reflecting difference to bring them up so all teams are seen above floor.
9%
Yes - If a team under the floor, auto cap hit simliar to signing imagined player at salary difference (Floor signing 1yr - 2M salary) future moves changing balance would be like cutting that imagined player (with prorated cap balance salary)
2%
Yes - If a team under the floor and doesn't respond, have league sign real player at difference to a real contract.
No votes

Total votes: 46

Jared A

Re: 2011 RULES: Salary Floors

Post by Jared A »

Ben C. wrote:
Strategist wrote:Guys are we really debating this. It would be really easy to get above a floor because you could sign one or 2 players to ridiculous contracts to get there. There is no need for a floor.
If it is that easy, then why not just have it for the sake of keeping the rules closer to the NFL?
Because it's a waste of effort on Troy's end, and ontop of that it will create lots of unrealistic contracts.
charlie813brown

Post by charlie813brown »

Jared A wrote:
Ben C. wrote:
Strategist wrote:Guys are we really debating this. It would be really easy to get above a floor because you could sign one or 2 players to ridiculous contracts to get there. There is no need for a floor.
If it is that easy, then why not just have it for the sake of keeping the rules closer to the NFL?
Because it's a waste of effort on Troy's end, and ontop of that it will create lots of unrealistic contracts.

On top of the fact that Franchise tags are calculated as the average of the top 5 contracts at that position. If we enforced a floor, that could throw off Franchise tag prices if one team just signed a guy to a large, no SB 1 year contract.
Cory H
GM of Baltimore Ravens CFFL (Total - 43-53)
2008 - 5-11
2009 - 9-7
2010 - 10-6 (AFC Wild Card)
2011 - 10-6
2012 - 1-15 (Rebuilding year)
2013 - 8-8
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Jared A wrote:
Ben C. wrote:
It won't end up causing a lot of unrealistic contracts if people don't tank their teams. If you put honest effort towards having the most competitive team every year then you won't be near the floor.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

charlie813brown wrote: On top of the fact that Franchise tags are calculated as the average of the top 5 contracts at that position. If we enforced a floor, that could throw off Franchise tag prices if one team just signed a guy to a large, no SB 1 year contract.
Franchise tags are based on the NFL numbers. Contracts in these leagues don't play a role in that.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Ulrich82

Post by Ulrich82 »

There is a new post on PFT tonight which further explains the new floor.

It confirms that the per team limit does not start until 2013. Until then, the only requirement is a league wide minimum cash spend of 99% of the cap. Additionally, it clarifies a point that at least I didn't understand before about the term cash spend. The cash spend is different than the cap figure. For example, as they say about Charles Johnson's $30 million signing bonus for 6 years. That bonus has an annual cap figure of $5 million. However, it counts as $30 million towards the cash spent in the first year of the deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ntil-2013/

I think this is just further reason not to worry about the new floor. It is not really a floor on the cap figure. Keeping track of the cash spent from each team per year will just be another figure to keep track of.

On another note, I am guessing here, but it seems that dead money will still be treated the same as before. It didn't seem possible to me for teams to spend 89% of their cap in cash while also having to stay under the cap including dead money. Now that I realize that the cash spend is not a cap number at all, it makes sense for dead money and the cap to work the same as ever.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

That article sums it up for me. Cash floor is not needed. But larger cap hits for teams under the 53 man roster needs to enforced. Lets move on and get a cap figure please before start drawing my social security checks.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I think there's potential to eventually use a salary floor in ways that could help competitive balance and prevent extreme rebuilding that isn't realistic, but certainly mixed (if not more negative) opinion generally there right now to where no real concensus on implementing a big change there yet. Plus sounds like salary floors might be a bigger part of the real NFL in future years more than it might be now anyway. So we can keep working on possible ways to use that in the future and look at proposed adjustments next off-season, but for now probably move forward without that less supported larger change.

But for teams planning their caps now, if you end up being like the real Bengals or some other teams that are maybe way below what they need to be spending, at some point (as in reality) there could come a time when that has consequences and you'd have to make some huge salary additions that could be more forced foolish spending to reach a future floor if added that would hurt the franchise much more than being more in line financially with the rest of the league.

I do think there is some uncertainty around this issue, and probably some cases that will develop either this year or next as we see what the final spending for each team really is, and what that means for those teams applied to future years.

So hardder for us to put in something certain about that now, and not really supported by our community anyway, but as that whole salary floor sitaution becomes less confusing and if it becomes a bigger part of real NFL transactions from year-to-year, I think it's something that would increasingly become part of our environment too. So keep it in mind (fair warning) for the future that it could be coming and could be more important for us soon just like the NFL.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Goodell wrote:I think there's potential to eventually use a salary floor in ways that could help competitive balance and prevent extreme rebuilding that isn't realistic, but certainly mixed (if not more negative) opinion generally there right now to where no real concensus on implementing a big change there yet. Plus sounds like salary floors might be a bigger part of the real NFL in future years more than it might be now anyway. So we can keep working on possible ways to use that in the future and look at proposed adjustments next off-season, but for now probably move forward without that less supported larger change.

But for teams planning their caps now, if you end up being like the real Bengals or some other teams that are maybe way below what they need to be spending, at some point (as in reality) there could come a time when that has consequences and you'd have to make some huge salary additions that could be more forced foolish spending to reach a future floor if added that would hurt the franchise much more than being more in line financially with the rest of the league.

I do think there is some uncertainty around this issue, and probably some cases that will develop either this year or next as we see what the final spending for each team really is, and what that means for those teams applied to future years.

So hardder for us to put in something certain about that now, and not really supported by our community anyway, but as that whole salary floor sitaution becomes less confusing and if it becomes a bigger part of real NFL transactions from year-to-year, I think it's something that would increasingly become part of our environment too. So keep it in mind (fair warning) for the future that it could be coming and could be more important for us soon just like the NFL.
Guess we don't need to worry about this for a few years anyways

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -cap-room/
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Salary floor will do litle for competitive balance. If a team wants free cap space for the following year, they will merely work around the system and sign a ridiculous one year contract. If you truly want competitive balance (and I do), then you have to hold GM's liable for losing seasons over a given time period. We've debated this numerous times, but in my opinion it's the only solution to preventing teams from tanking. The salary floor is merely a tool for real life players to get their complete piece of the pie.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

soonertf wrote:Salary floor will do litle for competitive balance. If a team wants free cap space for the following year, they will merely work around the system and sign a ridiculous one year contract. If you truly want competitive balance (and I do), then you have to hold GM's liable for losing seasons over a given time period. We've debated this numerous times, but in my opinion it's the only solution to preventing teams from tanking. The salary floor is merely a tool for real life players to get their complete piece of the pie.
I completely agree.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs