New CBA Agreement!

Adam K

Re: New CBA Agreement!

Post by Adam K »

Goodell wrote:
Ben C. wrote:I think it's time to start making some decisions about what we're going to do here.
We don't have pre-season games, though, so we'll want to make sure we have things right more so than quick. I'd hate to institute a new set of rules that is all messed up for this year.

We do need some definite clarification on cap management in this new NFL setup. Need to initially see if there are huge cuts from teams over the new cap, or if there are very little cuts for cap management reasons built into the new system. Need to see how dead money is accounted for. Lots of questions. Most of it could be cleared up with a great article or two that goes into those details as the new NFL realities are voted into action. I'd hope for more details soon, and expect serious rules discussions throughout the week.

We also won't start things off for real until we round everybody up for the most part or put in replacements for those we can't.

So I'd expect rules discussions very soon, as well as I'll send out email to those who haven't checked in this week, and pending those rules change discussions we'll ultimately set a time for our free agency start. It won't be as quickly as the NFL's, though, but I think that's a good thing too for us to see how team-building looks in reality a bit before we alter ours. Could be up and running in a week, or maybe two. Can't take too long with this if we want to start the regular season on time, but also don't want to rush in a bunch of rules based only upon our interpretation on paper before seeing how some of them look in a changed reality that might be different than we think right now.

But things are going to start happening soon.
Two things that we could do while we wait could be allow teams to cut players and open the trading tool.This way teams could clear space or talk trades while new contract rules are figured out. Obviously, we would have to keep FA closed and draft picks unsigned for a bit.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

I am in favor of Adam's proposal
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

tino38 wrote:I am in favor of Adam's proposal
I agree.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

tino38 wrote:I am in favor of Adam's proposal
Its a good idea on the surface, but I think we have to determine a cap number first before teams make decisions on a number of their players.

My hope is that some of these decisions/roster moves can be made before I go on vacation, and not during it b/c that'll seriously put me behind the 8-ball with both of my teams.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

In addition to deciding the cap number, we need to decide if we are going to allow more than one contract restructure. That alone will play a big role in my decisions.

Also need to figure out if we are going to get rid of the 3,000,000 workout bonus figure that is counting against the caps.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Ben C. wrote:In addition to deciding the cap number, we need to decide if we are going to allow more than one contract restructure. That alone will play a big role in my decisions.

Also need to figure out if we are going to get rid of the 3,000,000 workout bonus figure that is counting against the caps.
Definitely. I'm anxious as well, but we need to get this right, and not rush through everything.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Ben C. wrote:In addition to deciding the cap number, we need to decide if we are going to allow more than one contract restructure. That alone will play a big role in my decisions.

I agree here to, should be easier of the things to address also.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

There are some programming things to be done before actual transactions can happen still that I have to do at the start of every year so things go to the right places with a new season for salaries, cap hits, etc.

Don't think we'd turn on transactions yet, though, if still looking into how dead money for cuts/trades will be accounted for if any differences there. Plus what the cap is would have a lot to do with decisions made and want people to know the rules for 2011 before they make decisions about 2011. Plus right now not everyone here which can sometimes lead to unfair playing field if not everyone rounded up or vacant teams having new GMs in place to start the league year.

Some of this depends upon what our final cap number will be and what the overall picture looks like with that number, but I would tentatively expect an additional contract restructuring allowed in this transition from a higher cap to a lower one.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Onyxgem wrote:

Yeah, I believe the new cap is just for salaries. So, we should be able to drop the 3,000,000 workout bonus. The cap is set at $120.4, but teams can borrow up to $3 million on next year. To avoid complication, I assume we either set the cap at $123 or $120. I believe $123 is the adjusted cap right now.

I do think we could open the cuts and trading tool even though we don't have cap, because we all know the range $120 to $124 and at this point it doesn't matter if you over or to far under.

Either way, I believe we should be able to make a decision on the cap soon.

When is the vacation? Tell the wife you have to cancel for your simulation football league :lol:
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Adam K wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

Yeah, I believe the new cap is just for salaries. So, we should be able to drop the 3,000,000 workout bonus. The cap is set at $120.4, but teams can borrow up to $3 million on next year. To avoid complication, I assume we either set the cap at $123 or $120. I believe $123 is the adjusted cap right now.

I do think we could open the cuts and trading tool even though we don't have cap, because we all know the range $120 to $124 and at this point it doesn't matter if you over or to far under.

Either way, I believe we should be able to make a decision on the cap soon.

When is the vacation? Tell the wife you have to cancel for your simulation football league :lol:
As much as I love these leagues, I love my vacations even more. I'm leaving on August 1st, and I'll be gone until August 11th.

Like I said before, I wouldn't expect one person to hold everything up, but from a personal perspective, it would absolutely suck that after 4 1/2 months of labor issues, we fire up our league while I'm gone. With the lower cap number, I need to be around here more than ever this year with some tough decisions to be made.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins