2015 RULES: Suggested Topics

tino38

Re: 2015 RULES: Suggested Topics

Post by tino38 »

Sounds good, I reme there being discussion on it but I couldn't remember if anything actually came about in those discussions.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

In response to the rating systems...has anyone ever subscribed to Pro Football Focus or some of those other pay sites that grade out players? I don't think they are too expensive for a yearly subscription and don't know if any of them would be better than what we have now. I don't find it unreasonable for each of us to donate a small amount towards the running of this league...that could just be me though.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

jerrydlux wrote:In response to the rating systems...has anyone ever subscribed to Pro Football Focus or some of those other pay sites that grade out players? I don't think they are too expensive for a yearly subscription and don't know if any of them would be better than what we have now. I don't find it unreasonable for each of us to donate a small amount towards the running of this league...that could just be me though.
Read up above, we have legal reasons why we can't go with PFF.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:In response to the rating systems...has anyone ever subscribed to Pro Football Focus or some of those other pay sites that grade out players? I don't think they are too expensive for a yearly subscription and don't know if any of them would be better than what we have now. I don't find it unreasonable for each of us to donate a small amount towards the running of this league...that could just be me though.
Yeah, those paid services have come up in the past, and I've contacted some of them (and often get no interest / no response). The problem with a paid service directly would be us publishing their premium paid content for free here leading to big problems. To use something like that directly and use/publish their premium content would mean having to come to some agreement with some business to do that (not likely or highly costly).

My other option I talked about where the league management comes up with some internal formula or ranking process of our own where league management pays attention to lots of different opinions on player ranks in the world but doesn't use any one exclusively or directly (like a Madden player grader might do paying attention to those kinds of resources as factors to consider but coming up with their own opinions separately) would possibly be an option where some of that stuff gets considered but not as a basis here directly.

Whether the league came up with it's own grades in it's own way paying attention to some different resources behind the scenes or used one public free source directly probably has pros/cons for each.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

tino38 wrote:
Read up above, we have legal reasons why we can't go with PFF.

didn't know, thanks
Ulrich82

Post by Ulrich82 »

Oh, one other thing I'd like to see some fix to is teams using practice squad designations to essentially win a bidding war. I find it frustrating when a team ads a player to their practice squad immediately before placing a bid on him. I won't pretend I am a saint here, because I have done this in the past just to keep it from being done to me. Perhaps we could put some restrictions on adding a player to your practice squad like:

1.) No player with an active bid on him can be added to any team's practice squad
2.) Any team added to PS cannot be bid on by that team for a total of 1 (or 2) weeks. If the player is signed elsewhere, the original team still has matching rights by way of the practice squad.

I guess the annoyance is finding a player you want to add and then seeing that he was just added to a team's practice squad an hour before you got to the site. It means there is no point in me even bidding on the player because the other team will just sit back and match my bid.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ulrich82 wrote:Oh, one other thing I'd like to see some fix to is teams using practice squad designations to essentially win a bidding war. I find it frustrating when a team ads a player to their practice squad immediately before placing a bid on him. I won't pretend I am a saint here, because I have done this in the past just to keep it from being done to me. Perhaps we could put some restrictions on adding a player to your practice squad like:

1.) No player with an active bid on him can be added to any team's practice squad
2.) Any team added to PS cannot be bid on by that team for a total of 1 (or 2) weeks. If the player is signed elsewhere, the original team still has matching rights by way of the practice squad.

I guess the annoyance is finding a player you want to add and then seeing that he was just added to a team's practice squad an hour before you got to the site. It means there is no point in me even bidding on the player because the other team will just sit back and match my bid.
I'll have to check scripts to be sure, but I believe it's supposed to not allow someone to add a player to practice squad if they have an active bid on them. That wouldn't prevent the reverse of that, though, putting on practice squad first and then bidding after. Adding another system to track how long a guy has been on a team's practice squad before allowing that team to bid sounds a little more involved, but something to think about if seen as a problem.

I do think a little more focus on that area of transactions before we start up again could be a good idea.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

I have often thought that if you have a player added to the system you should get exclusive rights to sign that player.

Maybe just a 1 year deal but there should be some benefit to prospecting. It sucks to have a player added and then have to fight for them in the free agency process.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

whteshark wrote:I have often thought that if you have a player added to the system you should get exclusive rights to sign that player.

Maybe just a 1 year deal but there should be some benefit to prospecting. It sucks to have a player added and then have to fight for them in the free agency process.
This.

I agree, we should have a thread for adding players to the data base and the 1st person to add the player tovthe thread should get him on a 1 or 2 year minimum contract. The thread would probably cut down on ims for the commish for adding the same player. The only thing I think we should decide would be if a gm has multiple teams if we would let him get him on all his teams or make him choose 1 team for him to automatically sign with.
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

Not sure there is any good way to rate. PFF is no better than any other place. Coaches think its a joke