Position Flexibility

Jared A

Re: Position Flexibility

Post by Jared A »

I'll agree with players can play multiple positions. However, an OL-center's rating is based on him playing center... not playing guard. If he's playing guard, his rating would change. Just because he CAN play it, doesn't mean he's as good of a guard as he is a center. Otherwise, I should be allowed to have 5 A-rated guards, and call that an offensive line. Because, I'm sure they all COULD play tackle or COULD play center if their team needed them to.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Jared A wrote:Otherwise, I should be allowed to have 5 A-rated guards, and call that an offensive line. Because, I'm sure they all COULD play tackle or COULD play center if their team needed them to.
We intentionally have a balance there where we have some general requirements for what can make up an offensive line or front 7 or secondary to prevent 4 safeties making up a secondary unrealistically or 5 centers making up the offensive line, etc. but also allow positional eligibility where realistic and supported by evidence provided that a player can play other positions. Multiple grades for a player at different spots (like Diamond Mind for baseball as many play here) might be something for the future but not something we can easily accomodate currently.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

couldnt we just go to madden or have someone with the game go to the teams depth charts and then look at the rating when you put that player in that slot....if someone is an 80 for MLB their rating may change to a 60 for OLB. i notice a lot and it shows you their primary position as well.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
Joe

Post by Joe »

^^^ I like that idea..
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

A good suggestion for thoughts toward the future, but not now. Multiple grades for players aren't feasible in the system currently and would take some re-programming in the future. I could change the 1 grade a player has based upon something like and change position to only that one position that one grade applies too but also don't think it seems feasible to do that manually in the video game for every player in question at different spots, nor keep a separate list of which positions some would play but isn't in our game, or other grades they could have if at a different position but don't, etc. If there is a database or listing from them related to different positions, etc. we could look at that much more than labor involved in entering into video game and reporting back.

But in any case any big change to position flexibility is beyond what we'd do for the league this year. It would be an off-season discussion for rules changes for a future year as teams already made roster decisions based upon the rules as they were.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Bump... just digging up some old discussions.