Draft Day

What day would you prefer our college draft starts?

Friday 4/24 - day before the draft so our first round before real one.
12%
Saturday 4/25 - our first round same day as real one.
9%
Sunday 4/26 - start ours a day after real one but during that same weekend and NFL day two underway at same time.
30%
Monday 4/27 - start ours at beginning of week day after draft.
30%
Saturday 5/2 - start a week later.
18%

Total votes: 33

Goodell

Re: Draft Day

Post by Goodell »

Nothing is going to please everybody, especially with different extremes preferring opposite ways but we'll keep trying to find the best mix and then just have to go with it. We are not quite there yet but getting good info on a new way this year.

If we are on a time window system, it isn't ideal to get ahead of the assigned timeline overall. Having an early autopick for people away would help in some situations but also lead to getting several picks WAY ahead of the time line and then right back to a huge waiting period since you get so far ahead of the scheduled allotment. Either way, there is going to be waiting periods with time windows when you tell someone their pick isn't due until Tuesday at 10:40 or whatever. And if too liberal use of the league putting people on autopilot then you get people who read before that they didn't have to pick until Tuesday at 10:40 but somehow were autodrafted 12 hours early -- WTF, my pick wasn't due til Tuesday morning! And then the draft order just gets way ahead of itself with picks moved up ahead of scheduled time and leads to the same wait (or longer) but just at a different time. That being said, though, we may add some form of it in the future as I was planning with some tools where a GM could indicate schedule conflicts, when away, etc. Just won't be as helpful to time windows as it might be thought for the league overall, but could be helpful to some situations and shift wait later.

Shorter time windows are probably the way to go if sticking with time windows, and teams will just have to work ahead of time on options perhaps if they want to move up or down while a team on the clock with less time to do it. We'll see how the 15 minute windows go starting tomorrow and that'll tell a lot about settling into the right time allotment.

I'm also in the what's the rush group as there will be a lot of dead time once this draft ends, but understand not wanting to drag things on too much. Hopefully the scheduled windows allow people to not have to wait around so much knowing that they can go do other things and show up at the pick time.

We'll also try to make the queue more comprehensive with more options but that can get confusing to both myself in doing it and users if too complicated. Probably could do something like a setting to not pick two of the same positions in sequential picks or something where a team could put a lot of tackles at the top of their queue but add that setting for when it picked one of the tackles to jump down to the next position in their queue.
Last edited by Goodell on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Troy, maybe the simplest solution would be to go from 20 minute intervals to 15, and then run it from 10 AM to 10 PM, not matter how long it went into the second round.

Instead of doing 20, or doing 10, 15 would probably be perfect.

At that rate, you'd get a round and a half in for a day.

It wouldn't be too fast, nor too slow.

I get your point on the autodraft v timeslot though.

They would be counterproductive for the most part unless everyone was actually here or knew for a fact they wouldn't be around and on auto.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Yeah, we'll probably come out of it with some kind of mixture with time windows but adjustments made to the size of the windows and number of picks made daily, as well as some tweaks to the queue tool to help make it more workable for more people in more situations.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

An idea for the draft queue:

What about making an option for Top Player @ Position in the queue? There have been times that I wanted to select that option, but didn't like who the top player in the overall list was.
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Dan R. wrote:An idea for the draft queue:

What about making an option for Top Player @ Position in the queue? There have been times that I wanted to select that option, but didn't like who the top player in the overall list was.
He has that already, although I've never looked at it or used it.

The issue is what if you have 3 picks coming up that you know you won't be able to make live.

So you queue up top WR, and you end up getting 3 WRs in a row.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

Well, here's a possible solution for that -

A priority queue, where you rank position and how many to draft in any given round. Then, if you reach the pick for said position, the position is either eliminated from the queue or moved to the bottom.
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

I believe the highest pick at positions is like a player. When you select that CB it takes it off your board. I think that because I'm pretty sure you can add mulitple highest CB's available. I think I did last year.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
tkienast

Post by tkienast »

I'll add that I was excited about the time windows at first but really appreciated Sunday. I was actually able to make it to a computer in the afternoon and the time window made it so I didn't have to sit there but was able to come and go and still do other things.

I wouldn't be against lowering it to 15 minutes but am very happy w/ the way it is going this season.
PIT GM CFFL 08-14
SB Chp -10,14
AFC N Chp - 08-10,13,14
WC - 11
08-11: 11-5, 15-1, 14-2, 10-6
12-14: 9-7, 12-4, 12-4
09: lost AFC Ch NE 23-20
10: won SB 24-7 vs NO
11: lost AFC Ch NE 21-20
14: won SB 32-20 vs DAL
Record: 83-29 (12-4 playoff) 2 SB Titles
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

My wife is having hip replacement surgery Wednesday morning and will be in the hospital for 4 days, prior to being moved to a rehab. My draft list is set and I will send a private message to the commish that when my turn comes up, just take the highest ranked player.

Larry
Minnesota Vikings
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

If your wife's going to be at the hospital, why can't you make your pick? Seems like a good opportunity to get some quality football time in!

I'm just kidding... I hope everything goes perfectly for your wife! Good luck!